• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1894 S barber Dime. Real or fake?

8 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Aside from the fact that there were only 24 produced in proof quality and have sold for as much as 2 million dollars, the date is wrong.

Some of the coins are mirror-like and some are not. They might have been made with polished dies, but they are not real proof coins.

I would be interested to know where you picked up that fake. I would like to add the seller's name to my list of known counterfeit sellers.

, but they are not real proof coins.

I didn't really say they were Proof Coins but said they were Proof Quality although PCGS has graded one as a Branch Mint  Proof. I guess it could be up for debate what the actual strike is. 

"This 1894-S Proof Barber dime sold for more than $2 million"

"Authenticated and graded PCGS Proof 64+ (Branch Mint Proof),"

I'll give them credit for having the correct obverse and reverse types. Most of these have post-1900 types. Regardless, it's a $2 fake from the Chinese. Q: How can you tell? A: Is the price a million dollars?

Edited by kbbpll

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I would be interested to know where you picked up that fake. I would like to add the seller's name to my list of known counterfeit sellers.

This is where I go and get a big tub of popcorn waiting for the OP to name names. We almost never see it happen, which is why I've punted on the whole deal - we are seeing counterfeiters using us as their "test market".