• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bank Rolls

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just started collecting again after a 30 year absence. I came across a sealed bank box of nickels. They are all rolls of 2020 P coins. I opened one up to take a look at them and all the coins seem to have nicks on the sides. The fronts all have a kind of frosted chin area and a fair amount of scratches and nicks as well. Is this normal? I guess I remember new rolls looking better but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. Thanks and have a great day. 

IMG_20200621_010349[1].jpg

IMG_20200621_010453[1].jpg

IMG_20200621_010423[1].jpg

welcome,

It is normal. They receive no special handling so they have had a bit of a trip to get to you...

A probable route to you-

Struck on high speed press and forcibly ejected into a collection bin.

Moved around in the bin until they are poured into a large bag of some sort for shipping

Loaded into a large truck for transport then driven to a contractor like brinks for distribution

Poured into a counting machine and/or rolling machine to be rolled and packaged in the sealed box you received

Shipped to a facility to await distribution

shipped to your bank

driven in your car to your house

Plenty of time to get marked up and scratched 

Wow, these rims sure do get hammered somewhere. I have a roll of 2009 nickels I opened and I was astonished how nicked up they were. Full luster, an original roll, but really not high grade at all.

I picked up some 2020 nickels the other day in pocket change and they were already in really bad shape. All nicked up on the obverse side in the same spot.

Remember the Mints major concern is "will they work in commerce".  If they will, nicks a scratches on business strike coins is of no real interest to them.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Remember the Mints major concern is "will they work in commerce".  If they will, nicks a scratches on business strike coins is of no real interest to them.

True ‘nuff, but what is your theory on why nickels usually come out looking worse than other denominations, both smaller and larger?

29 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

True ‘nuff, but what is your theory on why nickels usually come out looking worse than other denominations, both smaller and larger?

I have wondered if the nickel press is on the second floor and the collection bin is on the first floor. 

I always thought it was the composition and weight

The last time I was in the Philadelphia Mint, only cents and quarters were running in the main press room. They said there were 5oz. pucks running in the “Numismatic room”.  When I was in the British Royal Mint, I could see “Snowman” 50p coins running, plus some foreign stuff  

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

perhaps it has to do with the composition of the coin; the metal might lend itself to be easier to be damaged. granted, I am no chemist.

That, or perhaps it's something to do with perception; the design of the nickel might better highlight the damage than design of another coin

1 minute ago, 1917 said:

perhaps it has to do with the composition of the coin; the metal might lend itself to be easier to be damaged. granted, I am no chemist.

That, or perhaps it's something to do with perception; the design of the nickel might better highlight the damage than design of another coin

Certainly that huge field does not help.

Just now, VKurtB said:

Certainly that huge field does not help.

true

I've always wondered why they shoved Jefferson into the corner on the current design...

My only experience with this is buying a roll of Effigy Mounds quarters direct from the launch ceremony. A few of them maybe would make MS63. Dings, grease spots, discolorations, etc. Quality is not a priority these days.

2 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

My only experience with this is buying a roll of Effigy Mounds quarters direct from the launch ceremony. A few of them maybe would make MS63. Dings, grease spots, discolorations, etc. Quality is not a priority these days.

OTOH, the S mint “circulation quality” strikes are pretty uniformly nice. I find MS67’s pretty regularly.  

13 hours ago, 1917 said:

perhaps it has to do with the composition of the coin

Not likely, the composition of the outer layers of the quarters and the nickels are the same material, and you would expect the softer material of the cent to have more problems.  (Frankly I've never bothered to pay attention and don't know if the nickels get marked up worse or not.)