• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any value here? Rotated Die
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Sorry if I have been posting a lot lately but I keep finding some interesting coins. Just came across this one which I think is called a rotated die and I believe some MAD. Quoted from Coneca regarding a rotated die: “The greater the rotation over 15 degrees, the greater the value to collectors.”

This is no doubt an entire new arena to me regarding rotated dies. I have taken as good of photos as I can of the obverse and then very carefully flipping it over and taking a pic of the reverse. I took numerous pics and I have posted the best ones. Other than using a compass..... lol, what is the best way to determine the offset in degrees on a rotated die?  Thank you. 

8FBE4AEF-FEFB-4A1B-97CB-5621C8D85984.jpeg

41A47AB7-73A5-488E-97D3-C64A83725B81.jpeg

an easy way is put it in a 2X2 use only 3 staples, Be sure to keep Lincoln's head is straight up and one of the staples is below the bottom of the coin.

Then you have an un-moving reference point so pictures will show the rotation and you can calculate the rotation

Use a protractor  to measure angle of rotation; a compass will punch a dent in the coin and tell you nothing about die rotation. Moxie15's idea is fine.

Rotated dies are very common and seldom bring any premium unless 90-degrees or greater.

PS: If you turn off automatic image compression and "sharpening" you'll get better photos.

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Use a protractor  to measure angle of rotation; a compass will punch a dent in the coin and tell you nothing about die rotation. Moxie15's idea is fine.

Rotated dies are very common and seldom bring any premium unless 90-degrees or greater.

PS: If you turn off automatic image compression and "sharpening" you'll get better photos.

Good info RWB. I will try that. Thank you very much.