• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1900 gold Indian head?

9 posts in this topic

There's no good reason to believe it is struck on the wrong planchet. Even with no effort made to take it out of the saflip for photographic clarity, one can tell that it's a well-worn IHP. Maybe someone plated it; maybe the look is from an odd cleaning, but it's been subjected to some form of abuse because that's not the right color for its stage of existence.

12 minutes ago, Deerhunter1599 said:

So I put this coin on a scale and it came back 2.8 grams... do you think it just very worn down penny someone plated in gold? 

I don't have any evidence that convinces me it's plated in gold. Looking at the photo of the front, gold doesn't usually get crudulated that way. I do think it's a worn IHP. Whether it's plated or not doesn't change anything except to lower its value; if it is plated, that makes it an altered/damaged coin.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Most likely it was included in some commerical offering of gold-plated, circulated Indian Cents. Typically, the ones from 1900-1909 are offered as a set in some colorful packaging and sold through general interest magazines such as Reader's Digest.

8 hours ago, Deerhunter1599 said:

I guess I’m a little confused. You said you don’t see evidence that it’s been plated, Witch I don’t believe it is, then how did it become gold in color? 

I do not see a coin that I would identify as plated in gold, the metal Au. It has a brassy color to it that might or might not be gold. It could also be hideously cleaned and discolored, for example. I'm saying I can't tell.

What I'm trying not to come out and say explicitly, but very well if you like, is that the pictures are the problem. I don't know that I can trust the color, especially through the plastic flip. Photos can be deceiving. What you see is a coin you can hold up at any angle to any type of light, slip out of a flip, and examine. What I see is what appears to be a brass IHP, photo too small, through plastic. I doubt that's what it is, so I have to speculate. You think it's plated in gold. I lack clear enough evidence to concur. I think it unlikely someone plated it in brass. It's at least possible someone brutally cleaned it, altering the way the photos report the color. I don't know.

It might be from a cheap plated set sold to rubes, or out of a common brass-color jewelry piece - the kind sold at beach and tourist traps.

It has no value as a collector's coin and in 'as is' condition it is a cull.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:18 AM, Deerhunter1599 said:

then how did it become gold in color?

Harshly cleaned/buffed/polished etc.