• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 D question
1 1

4 posts in this topic

AB2E83AC-AC80-4766-B10C-76C3AC0E2AE5.jpeg.34c27194f280160c3ca549be37cb8c74.jpegHello. Just came across this Lincoln Cent. I don’t believe that there are not any known examples of a 86’D RPM, at least from what I could find (please correct me if I’m wrong). I’m clearly seeing what appears to be another raised D to the south and southeast of the mint mark. Unfortunately there is some crud in this area and I’d like to very carefully clean it so that I can better see the possible underlying D. I’m clear on acetone being a cleaner but are there any other recommendations on being able to use an extremely soft tooth brush or something else to help remove the crud without damaging the coin “just in the event” this is a real RPM?? I believe there to be 85’ and 87’D’s with RPM’s so who knows.  Thanks!

4ABD8770-2C5A-405E-9867-8BF5875DFADC.jpeg

5EA78F63-C462-4852-81FF-1AD572E38215.jpeg

Edited by Greg Bradford
I stand corrected on other examples...... just looked online again found that it may be a example of a 008

With that much environmental damage even if it is it would have a very limited market and value.

With that said, have you checked to be certain that it is not a bubble between the plating?

Hello Moxie. You are correct about the environmental damage and it’s value. I really don’t see plate bubbling. If it is, it is very ironic that it’s in the perfect shape of a D. I was mistaken about saying I wasn’t aware of 86’D RPM’s. Now that I know they do exist I’m not that concerned about this coin. Thanks for your reply. If I can, I will remove this post. Take care. 

No need to remove, it's all good. Keeper maybe, clean it up and see. Environmental damage galore, nasty, 'Jeepers Keepers' category. I know you've done what I've done several times, not really looking at the coin in hand first. Pick it up straight to my loupe, then Dmmmmm, holy cow can't drop that nasty thing fast enough, might be some living things amongst it, run and take 2 showers.