• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 D Lincoln proof?

7 posts in this topic

I am wondering if this could be a possible proof coin or just a really well struck and cared for coin? Tome to pics don't do it justice for how well it looks in hand. And I know the pics aren't the best and have somewhat of a glare and I apologize, best I can do with just me phone until I can figure something out. 

Also, when researching pennies, I've noticed the different grades for red, brown, red-brown and so on. And honestly it has me confused on being able to tell the difference. Any advice of how to get better acquainted with that?

20200617_152314.jpg

20200617_152205.jpg

It has to be a business strike. Denver Mint did not produce any Proofs

From NGC Grading Forum

RD
Red. A coin with full mint red luster.
RB
Red Brown. A coin with a mix of red luster and brown patina.
BN
Brown. A coin with full or nearly full brown patina.

Just now, Greenstang said:

It has to be a business strike. Denver Mint did not produce any Proofs

From NGC Grading Forum

D'oh, I feel stupid now. Didn't even think of that when looking at it. 

You are absolutely correct Greenstang. I said that because I knew better but got overly excited seeing how good of shape it is in compared to 99% of the other coins in the jar and given it's age. Thank you for the guidance. 

Oh, as for the red/brown/red-brown, I have read the definition but it still confuses me. I guess the best way I can say it is I have not had 2 or 3 different coins and then had it pointed out this is red, this is brown and so on. Still learning all this so when I look at a lot of the "cleaner" coins, they all appear to me to be quite reddish...if this makes sense..

2 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

Also, when researching pennies, I've noticed the different grades for red, brown, red-brown and so on. And honestly it has me confused on being able to tell the difference. Any advice of how to get better acquainted with that?

The only way to learn the difference is to look at actual coins that have been designated as RD, RB, etc. Pictures will go a long way toward helping, but pictures are rarely accurate, so viewing actual coins is the only way to know for sure. 

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The only way to learn the difference is to look at actual coins that have been designated as RD, RB, etc. Pictures will go a long way toward helping, but pictures are rarely accurate, so viewing actual coins is the only way to know for sure. 

Thanks that clears things up quite a bit and tells me what my next move should be. Going to a local dealer and checking out some of his and going to a show ( as neither of those is really anything I've done).