• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny error
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  is this considered a dryer coin. The rims looks ok and the reverse looks good. It almost  looks like trust has two U's. But when I see coin's like this I automatically say dryer coin. Hmmm. 

20200614_195329.jpg

20200614_195433.jpg

"The reason the Mint changed from what collectors call a Large Date to the Small Date is because zinc does not strike up like copper or a predominantly copper alloy. The Mint struck the copper hard and fast but quickly learned in 1982 that the strike was not satisfactory on the coins minted on the copper-plated zinc planchets." from https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/rare-1982-d-small-date-copper-found. I wonder if this coin is evidence of the problems they were having.

See, I told everyone I would find that cool unique one. Just kidding. So it probably being a MAD, or evidence problems in that year, this should be a error and worth saving right. Thanks