• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrow Gauge Grocery & Coin Dealership
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Came across this last night and thought it might bring a smile to members. The business proprietor, Dr. Rear, certainly had a diversified approach. Can anyone guess what an "8 square gold dollar" was/is?

18870108 Narrow Gauge Grocery-coin dealer sm.jpgNarrow Gauge Grocery

Dr. Rear

Milk, Bread, Fresh Cakes, Cold Drinks, Cold Lunch, Notions, Tobacco and Cigars, Fruite, Nuts, Vegetables. Buy and Sell Ancient and Modern Coins.

Corner of Court and Military,

Port Huron, Michigan

January 8, 1887

James P. Kimball, Esq.

Dear Sir

Mr. Rush here, an old coin collector, wishes me to get him a copy of 14th Annual Report of Dir. Of Mint. Many Thanks for the one sent me. Please find enclosed stamps – are these sufficient?

Have you an 8 square Gold Dollar you could sell. I have the ¼ Dol and ½ Dol 8 square and wish to have the Dol.

Yours,

Rear

[P.S.] Also $1,000 Confederate Note or Bond.

Edited by RWB
Fix formatting

California gold tokens were all I could think of, too. Maybe Dr. Rear thought they were U.S. Mint products? A lot of people wrote the Mint in Philadelphia asking about gold quarters and halves. I wonder what kind of coin business he ran?

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

It says "Dr. Rear", hence my "joke".

Yes....I just noticed my proctocologically-challenged error, and your smooth humor !

:)

I would say he is definitely talking about California octagonal fractionals.  He says he has the 1/4 and 1/2 dollar 8 square.  I would suspect a lot of people probably thought the mint created those tokens.  I know in the 1830's many thought the mint coined the hard times tokens as well.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:08 AM, Conder101 said:

I would say he is definitely talking about California octagonal fractionals.  He says he has the 1/4 and 1/2 dollar 8 square.  I would suspect a lot of people probably thought the mint created those tokens.  I know in the 1830's many thought the mint coined the hard times tokens as well.

Funny how I thought those California gold issues were universally referred to as octagonals.