• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Good for .25 in Trade"

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have found an interesting coin in my collection that says "Good for .25 in Trade" on one side and the name of A.R. Checchi in Calais, Maine on the other side.  If anyone has any information about the history of these types of coins that would be really cool to find out!

Thanks,

FD

DSC_3910.JPG

DSC_3909.JPG

Your token was used at the Elba Fruit Market, a grocery store in Calais, Maine, which was owned by Mr.Checchi. I tried to find the start date of the business  and how long it was there, but I had no success. I did find a picture.

An example of this token sold for $97 in January, 2019, and there is one example for sale on Ebay currently. The asking price is $49.99.

ftaARChecchiElbaFruitMarket.jpg

Found a bit more:

http://stcroixhistorical.com/?p=1626 has a history of Italian immigrants in St. Croix county starting in 1877. Without being specific, the article references the Checchi family in the 1930s and has the picture @Just Bob posted; it turns out the store was at the corner of Main Street and Calais Avenue and became Pisani's. Pisani's was apparently around for several decades, at least through the 1970s:

PisaniStore,AvenueandMain1970's.jpg