• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Rolls from bank
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I am in Southern California, and have been noticing that it is rare to find Philadelphia minted coins. Almost all coins I have are Denver minted. I am guessing the Federal Reserve does this to save on shipping costs.

3 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I am in Southern California, and have been noticing that it is rare to find Philadelphia minted coins. Almost all coins I have are Denver minted. I am guessing the Federal Reserve does this to save on shipping costs

Yes. In general Denver supplies the Fed Reserve banks west of the Mississippi, and Philadelphia serves the ones in the east.  Just makes more sense than Philadelphia shipping coins to the San Francisco Federal Reserve.  Then along the "border" Philadelphia coins slowly trickle west, and Denver coins slowly trickle east.

9 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I would not have Facebook if not for my wife and immediate family being on there.

Why does that require YOU to be on there?  With the exception of my father (who doesn't have internet at all) everyone in my family is on Facebook, except me.  I see no reason to have a facebook account.  If one of them want to talk to me or I want to talk to one of them, there is the phone, or email.

Thanks Conder. Shipping is expensive. I have come so close to shutting down Facebook over the last year. I very rarely comment or post anymore. 

I'm ~60 miles from the Denver Mint, and unscientifically, it takes about 5 years for a Philly coin to show up here. Probably trickling in from tourists. Facebook is for finding people from high school that you haven't seen or heard about for 45 years and then realizing why.

5 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I'm ~60 miles from the Denver Mint, and unscientifically, it takes about 5 years for a Philly coin to show up here. Probably trickling in from tourists. Facebook is for finding people from high school that you haven't seen or heard about for 45 years and then realizing why.

For years I lived about 50 miles from the Philly Mint, now more like 100. When I’m in the Deep South I see a healthy mix, but almost exclusively Philly here. Now that I’m in mid-state, I almost never see current year coins anymore. When I go to Philly by train, I almost immediately see new coins everywhere, starting at 30th Street Station.

My coin grading skills have improved since buying these uncirculated quarter rolls. When I go through my pocket change, it seems that I am saving maybe 1 out of 4 coins. First an eye inspection, then with my loupe. I know how to use a loupe with over 40 years of printing experience. No nicks, scratches, or spots on my saved coins. I just saw an MS63 NGC graded handshake nickel with scratches. It would not make my collection.

I watched a video that showed a coin seller cracking open NGC slabs with pliers. They were doing this to finish a customer order. Is this unusual?