• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975-D penny floating head
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Is this a possible floating head. I looked at other one's on line but not for sure. What would be your opinions. Thanks. 

20200603_112031.jpg

20200603_111308.jpg

20200603_112518.jpg

Never mind everyone, I apologize  .found another 75. Must be weak strike and over polishing die. So I'm taking it ,that it's common. 

There would as many minted as from the time the die was polished until that die was retired so there could possibly be hundreds of thousands of them out there just like that one.

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

"Floating Head?"

Is this someone's cutesy name for an over polished die?

Yes, when the die is over polished enough that the neck disappears and the head is disconnected from the body.  It happens most years but last you someone reported a "floating head" 2019 cent to Coin World and they made a fuss over it.  We had people coming by and asking about floating heads and what they were worth on the forums for weeks.  Nobody seemed to be willing to accept the answer "nothing".

Thanks Bob, greenstang, and Conder101. Just like the spiked head there worth nothing. But people are really into them. I was told the die crack above Lincoln's head is common on coins. But yeah I found 75s, 76s like four of them within 30 minutes that look like the one in the pic. So I figured out they were common. But still hunting for something surprising.