• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 proof silver libertads

11 posts in this topic

Are you talking gold or silver? IMO probably a waste if silver. Now if you could get hi grade proof libertads of earlier dates like 1998, 1999, 2000, 2006 that would be a different matter. If you are getting prices for not much above bullion it could still be alright.

How much do you like it?  How much would you mind losing money if you are wrong?  Only you know the answer to these questions.

I don't know offhand how much these coins cost but my recollection is that the premiums aren't particularly low, especially as a 70.  My limited experience on coin forums with posters who predominantly buy (world) NCLT is that they tend to look at the mintages, ignore the price of most or all other coinage, and then somehow come to the conclusion that what they want to buy is underpriced.

Sure, you can make money on it, but I don't believe that most buyers are predominantly motivated by collecting.  I'd buy bullion first personally.

Oh I apologize for not being clear first of all, and second, thanks for responding I really appreciate that. I'm collecting silver proofs from 2019 in nothing but 70 grades. It seemed low enough mintage for an affordable range. I love them and their design and history. If Id be taking a loss at the end if the day I'd likely not sell in hopes of a rebound I suppose. I understand completely about the really low mintage proofs 98 I believe so far are amongst the lowest mintage and the highest cost, so price wise way outta my reach lol. I'm literally just learning about them for about a month now so thank you again for your time and answer man 

Edited by Michael McKee

No one can predict the future or what collectors will suddenly HAVE to have.  If suddenly a lot of people decide they really want proof libertads you could make out like a badit,  If everyone decides to chase whatever the next hot item is, you may find yourself holding a lot of expensive bullion.  Good piece of advice, never invest more in a coin than you can cheerfully afford to lose.

Well I suppose since I'm already four proofs/reverse proofs in, considering I've already gotten the majority of the spending done with only 9 more pieces to go, I'll complete it and hope for the best😁 thank y'all for giving me some great insight I appreciate it 

Michael, I love the design and keep all the Libertad silver proofs in the 5 onza size. That would be the reverse proofs, the antiqued, etc. I just don't want to serve the TPGs with much profit over what are basically perfect coins in OGP (and reasonably priced).

As a general rule, chasing anything recent in PF70 is likely going to cost to much more when buying compared to what you’ll be getting when selling. When you’re buying, it’s “ooh, perfect grade”, but when you’re selling, it immediately becomes, “meh, it’s just a bullion coin to me”.

I like the Libertad series for the designs and varieties, but I am old school and collect them in unc and put them in an album.  I've never been interested in adding the expense of slabs and someone else's opinion to my set.

For silver proof go with Britannia. They are less common in the 70's and fetch some good money.  As for Libertard , go with 1 oz reverse proof. The price had been double or triple each year on ebay but still plenty of buyers.