• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enlighten Me Plz!!

11 posts in this topic

Just to rule out the most obvious avenue of potential fakery on the two non-copper coins, run a magnet over them. If they don't jump, doesn't mean they are real; does mean they are at least not in the Frequent Faker category. Next step is weight and diameter of each.

Kind of suspect the bronze one is a token. I've never seen that obverse before.

Okay. The closest match I can find for the brass one is intriguing: Kwangtung (Guangdong, once Canton; surrounding Hong Kong and Macao for those seeking to advance geographic understanding) Province, 10 cash, pattern coin c.1888, KM# Pn2. The labyrinth reverse kinds of stands out, which is a big help in Chinese coinage when there are something like a dozen provinces all with similar coinage and subtle differences. While the price guide says $3250, don't start making big plans for the money, as there are many steps that are likely to lead to you getting about 10-20% of that (wild guess). Assuming it certifies as authentic (I don't know which grading companies would do that, but this is a good place to start asking), then you'd have to get it where the people who collect these things can find and buy it. That probably means an auction house. Then you hope its collectors happen to be following the auction. I can't advise you very well on this.

The tael, if such it is, is a little tougher. I suspect it could possibly also be a pattern coin, since nothing quite like it shows up for Zhejiang (east coast; used to include what was then called Hangchow, if you're following along geographically). If authentic (looks possible, but that's a big if), it'll take a much more learned Chinese imperial coin student than me to attribute. I didn't find it in Krause or Numista. The weight is at least credible for the denomination. It could be anything from a contemporary fake to a rare pattern. I don't know how to find out more.

Well I definitely appreciate you an your knowledge it helps out Tremendously but I am response soaking as much knowledge as possible I also have done Endless research but to no avail however I did take it to a high in coin antique shop just to get an insight he wanted to do a gold silver copper test with this acid stuff but I said no he said that he thought that the teal would be silver or platinum and the other one copper brass or gold I I kindly chuckled thank him grabbed My items and left lol!! If you come across anything else you can think of please let me know sure appreciate ya though!!