• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible NGC Label Error?

7 posts in this topic

Ok so I am a bit confused. I have this Morgan that had previously been graded and slabbed by NGC. The part that has me confused is on the label. Is shows 1889 S$1. It is showing a S mint mark however the coin itself, nor when I check the cert verification, does it have a mint mark. Only shows it on the label. And in my.limited understanding, if the coin does not have a mm, then there should not be one on the label. Out of curiosity I checked ebay and found 1 other similar to this. Same year even. But any other from the same year, if no mm on the coin, no mm on the label. So I am wondering if there is something fishy going on with this? A simply oversight? Should I post this in the ASK NGC section? Just want others takes as you all know I have very limited knowledge of most of this. TIA

Screenshot_20200502-034456_NGC.jpg

20200519_224012.jpg

It's their abbreviation for "silver dollar". If it was minted in San Francisco, it would say "1889 S    S$1". I suspect that it's because there are also gold dollars coexisting with silver dollars until 1889, but just a guess.

Maybe you're looking at another grading service. One seems to use "1878-S  $1" and another "1878-S   $". For trade dollars, NGC uses "T$1". Those also overlapped with gold dollars. Maybe in the morning someone more knowledgeable will weigh in. Regardless, the mint mark designation would be next to the date, not the denomination. Your holder is fine.

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Maybe you're looking at another grading service. One seems to use "1878-S  $1" and another "1878-S   $". For trade dollars, NGC uses "T$1". Those also overlapped with gold dollars. Maybe in the morning someone more knowledgeable will weigh in. Regardless, the mint mark designation would be next to the date, not the denomination. Your holder is fine.

Thank you much. I just want.to be sure that I am looking at and understanding it all correctly. And also in the event I ever decide to sell this coin, I didn't want someone else thinking there was something hinky.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For its first 30 years NGC abbreviated silver dollar as S$1. Because some customers confused the S with an S mintmark, we recently dropped it. Coins certified during the past several months lack the S for Silver. It has been retained solely for commemoratives and ASEs.

12 minutes ago, DWLange said:

For its first 30 years NGC abbreviated silver dollar as S$1. Because some customers confused the S with an S mintmark, we recently dropped it. Coins certified during the past several months lack the S for Silver. It has been retained solely for commemoratives and ASEs.

Thank you much for the clarification.