• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion- Lighting or Toning?

8 posts in this topic

I've seen the images in "Verify NGC Certification" that look a bit different from the actual coin, I've got a few coins that look better or worse than what NGC has on file.  I'm going back and forth on this one as to whether or not this is a lighting thing or toning on the coin, especially on the reverse.  The brighter image of the reverse (last image) is the one I was provided, no gold coloring on that one...  Curious on other opinions.  

If this is the wrong place for this please let me know!

shadow or toning 2.PNG

Shadow or Toning. 4.PNG

shadow or toning 3.PNG

If you compare the inserts and the coins in the pictures, it looks like the white balance may be off a bit in the last photo.

The composite below shows your original reverse photo (left) and a color and tone corrected version (right). (The large photo at the bottom of the OP's post is from a different image than the reverse shown above it. It is also out of focus, not parallel to the camera's CCD, and is lit differently. They cannot be accurately compared.)

I assumed the plastic holder was neutral white with a 90% reflectance. The original image was then adjusted to average neutral light gray and 90% reflectance. Nothing else was changed. It is apparent that the copperish "toning" comes from reflection of something above the coin behind the camera - possibly someone's face.

1199508105-Original comp.jpg

Edited by RWB
Formatting - as usual

10 hours ago, RWB said:

The composite below shows your original reverse photo (left) and a color and tone corrected version (right). (The large photo at the bottom of the OP's post is from a different image than the reverse shown above it. It is also out of focus, not parallel to the camera's CCD, and is lit differently. They cannot be accurately compared.)

I assumed the plastic holder was neutral white with a 90% reflectance. The original image was then adjusted to average neutral light gray and 90% reflectance. Nothing else was changed. It is apparent that the copperish "toning" comes from reflection of something above the coin behind the camera - possibly someone's face.

1199508105-Original comp.jpg

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If you compare the inserts and the coins in the pictures, it looks like the white balance may be off a bit in the last photo.

Excellent points about the color correction and reflectance.  The darker image was a screenshot I took directly from NGC and for whatever reason it hadn't occurred to me that those images were so much darker.  Looking at inserts and this adjusted image it's quite clear.  Appreciate the insight! 

My above comment was made after seeing the pictures on my Android phone. On that screen, the last image had a tan hue, much different from the look I now see on my laptop.

All you can really use the NGC images for is to try and determine if it is the same coin.  Variations in lighting etc between different photos make it difficult to impossible to predict what a coin will actually look like in hand.  All I would confidently say is the two images are of the same coin.