• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage auction last night - Carranett Collection

4 posts in this topic

I haven't analyzed the overall auction results from last nights Heritage auction of the Carranett collection of sovereigns. This was a very high end collection - mostly in PCGS plastic (285 lots). The collection contained some rarities highlights include:

1908 C - $21,600 SP65

1909 C - $31,200  SP65

1911 C - $21,600 SP67 (condition rarity)

1913 C - $5,520 MS64

1916 C - $38,400 MS64

1921 M - $33,600 MS64

1923 S - $28,800 MS64

1923 SA - $52,800 MS66

1924 SA - $28,800  MS66

1926 S - $26,400 MS64

While the collection did not contain the rarest sovereign or some other rarities that you would expect, the collection was not complete, it did contain some of them. The collection appears to have been focused on very high quality.

Edited by Zebo
Added clarification

I consider the 1923 and 1924 South Africa "strong" and overpriced.  I infer (not actually knowing) this mint isn't as widely collected.  The 1924 is conditionally scarce (top pop) but the date isn't rare.  I would describe it as moderately scarce and the TPG data includes nine in MS-65 and 75 total.  Some duplicates probably due to the value but I suspect many more ungraded.  Out of the mintage of 3184 (currently accepted) or somewhat over 2500 (1950 Kaplan guide), I'd guess as many as several hundred actually exist.  Record price for the 1923 to my recollection.  It's tied with two others in grade and the count is 21 out of the recorded mintage of 64 or 406.

I don't track the others.

I too believe the South Africian issues sold for a strong price. Many of the large sovereign collections include the South Africian series in addition to those that collect only the short series. Even so, those prices are up there. 

7 hours ago, Zebo said:

I too believe the South Africian issues sold for a strong price. Many of the large sovereign collections include the South Africian series in addition to those that collect only the short series. Even so, those prices are up there. 

The 1923 is a much better value than the 1924, as it is much harder to buy even if the TPG data is somewhat representative of the relative scarcity.  The 1924 is relatively easy to buy in grades up to MS-64.

I don't know how scarce either is versus the others in your post, such as the 1916-C.  Both are also collected as part of the Union series but there aren't many big budget buyers.