• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Expectation On Mint Set Coin Grades

6 posts in this topic

Hey all, this may be kind of a stupid question but I am going to ask anyhow. I have 4 of these type sets in the hard plastic. From what I have gathered they came from the mint this way. My question is, if I were to break the set up into individual coins, what could I reasonably expect them to be graded at? I realize there could be variables and I am not asking for a specific grade as I am not posting each individual coin. Just looking for some input like " You could expect to get a grade of PF66 - PF69" or something to that effect. If that makes sense haha. Being new to all this, personally I am thinking they should grade at a 67 or higher. But again, I am new, and do realize there could still be variables. TIA

81YXvMo-neL._SX342_.jpg

As you said there is no such thing as average to be expected.  Having said that anything between PR65 to PR69, with or without the CAM or UCAM designation is possible.  Just a side note the set you have in the photo the cent would not grade CAM or UCAM without a bath to remove the haze.  Only talking about the cents now; the real question is why would you bother, if you have the type 1 coins you will never be able to recoup the cost to have these graded unless you hit the lottery and get a PF70 UCAM (very low pop).  If you have the type 2 coins you would need at least PR68 UCAM to break even, side note PR69 UCAM is the highest grade in the pop report (again I'm talking about cents here).  If you need one for a set that's graded and slabbed your better off buying one already graded than spending the monies to submit, but its your dime so do as you wish.

35 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

As you said there is no such thing as average to be expected.  Having said that anything between PR65 to PR69, with or without the CAM or UCAM designation is possible.  Just a side note the set you have in the photo the cent would not grade CAM or UCAM without a bath to remove the haze.  Only talking about the cents now; the real question is why would you bother, if you have the type 1 coins you will never be able to recoup the cost to have these graded unless you hit the lottery and get a PF70 UCAM (very low pop).  If you have the type 2 coins you would need at least PR68 UCAM to break even, side note PR69 UCAM is the highest grade in the pop report (again I'm talking about cents here).  If you need one for a set that's graded and slabbed your better off buying one already graded than spending the monies to submit, but its your dime so do as you wish.

Actually that photo is just one that I got off the net. Mine are all put up and didn't want to dig them out for a general idea.  I honestly do not know if I have a type 1 or 2 sets. I have not looked that closely, yet. I also do not know if I will break them up. I am mulling around a lot of different things and that is just 1 of the thoughts. I do appreciate the feedback and input it does help.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that the percentage of coins given a particular grade when submitted to NGC would be a close representation of the percentage of your likelihood to receive that same grade. For example, let's take the Roosevelt dime from the above 1981 proof set. Let's assume it is a Type 1, it has no visible marks or hairlines, and it has enough frost on both sides to qualify for the Ultra Cameo designation. (As Coinbuf mentioned, if it does not qualify for the UC designation, it is probably not worth the cost. And if it has any visible defects, it certainly wouldn't grade high enough to be worth it. ) Of the 1,696 coins designated by NGC as PFUC, 7 of them received a grade of PF67, 288 got a 68, 1176 got a 69, and 225 received a grade of PF70. Judging by that, your chances of receiving a 69 are 5 times greater than your chances of receiving a 70. That is obviously not scientific, but it should give you a fair idea of what grades you could expect to receive.

Thank you both for your input and advice. The way I was seeing it, they were packaged at the mint and therefore no circulation issues. And as such, in my mind, I would think they should get at least a 65. Granted, other variables would be at work on the actual grade such as dings, cracks, CAM or UC designation and the like. 

6 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

Thank you both for your input and advice. The way I was seeing it, they were packaged at the mint and therefore no circulation issues. And as such, in my mind, I would think they should get at least a 65. Granted, other variables would be at work on the actual grade such as dings, cracks, CAM or UC designation and the like. 

Absolutely true the odds are good you would receive at least PR67 or better, the problem is that you need better than that to have any chance of recouping your cost of having them graded.