• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a collector just found coin

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I am not a collector I just happened to find a coin at work. My question, I wanted to know if this coin is worth the time and money to have it sent in to be graded? It’s only a 1953 Washington Quarter. Like I said I know nothing about coins just know it’s old. Thank you 

Welcome to the Forum

Pictures would be needed in determining the grade as condition is important in determining it's value but it is 90% silver so it would have to be worth bullion at least.  Also it would not be worth $50-60 to get it graded unless it was in high grade mint condition which yours wouldn't be if you found it at work.

Also it wouldn't be considered old, older coins than that are often found in circulation, it's just that yours is silver which makes it unusual to find. If it was a 1853, that would be old.

Edited by Greenstang
Added copy

2 hours ago, Misty Hawkins said:

Hi, I am not a collector I just happened to find a coin at work. My question, I wanted to know if this coin is worth the time and money to have it sent in to be graded? It’s only a 1953 Washington Quarter. Like I said I know nothing about coins just know it’s old. Thank you 

Any silver coin is a cool find. I came across people at a convenience store once who'd just found a Mercury dime and they were excited; it was fun to tell them more about what they had.

In layperson's terms, even if that coin were brand new, it probably would be worth about $5. To be worth more, it would have to be in truly exceptional shape. This would be true no matter where it was minted. However, being mostly silver, it wakes up in the morning worth something just for existing. At yesterday's price, that would be $2.81. So while it's cool, and definitely worth more than a quarter, you definitely would not want to put up $30-60 getting it graded.