• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Set
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have 4 of these type sets. Not sure if it matters, but 2 have the red trim, 1 has a dark blue/purple trim, and 1 light blue. Since I dont think they are very valuable as of now ( from what I looked up anyhow), the question is what should I do with them? I could just leave them as is, but I worry just being in the flimsy plastic it will tear open.

20200504_202538.jpg

I don't deal in these, but I've seen some. It's a mint set in original packaging. The different color means something though I don't remember what. It depends on the year whether this is before or after the mint switched to a plastic that didn't tone the coins.

@pogohatesme Idk the significance of the color strips but from what I understand people tend to want the coins from Mint Sets to complete their collections because they are truly uncirculated but not Proofs. So there may be a premium on many of them. I have Also read that the old cellophane packaging can cause the coins surfaces to pit or cause the coins to become foggy looking which isn't very pretty. I won't swear to it but I believe the coins would be better served if taken out of the cellophane and put into individual flips and would likely be worth more as individual Coins as opposed to as a set. But that is just my opinion. Currently the 92 Set values at $9. Individually, depending in the condition you could get as little $20 or as much as into the 1000's of dollars. I mean the pic isn't good enough for me to attempt a grade on any of the coins, but like I said people like the uncirc Coins for their collections. 

2 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

@pogohatesme Idk the significance of the color strips but from what I understand people tend to want the coins from Mint Sets to complete their collections because they are truly uncirculated but not Proofs. So there may be a premium on many of them. I have Also read that the old cellophane packaging can cause the coins surfaces to pit or cause the coins to become foggy looking which isn't very pretty. I won't swear to it but I believe the coins would be better served if taken out of the cellophane and put into individual flips and would likely be worth more as individual Coins as opposed to as a set. But that is just my opinion. Currently the 92 Set values at $9. Individually, depending in the condition you could get as little $20 or as much as into the 1000's of dollars. I mean the pic isn't good enough for me to attempt a grade on any of the coins, but like I said people like the uncirc Coins for their collections. 

After I posted I saw that too about the cellophane package being an issue at times. I had not really thought about separating them with the possibility of a higher value. My collecting has always been more about what I come across, what I like, and mostly just what has been given to me lol. It's never really been much about "flipping" for profit. I've never really spent much time researching a lot of it especially the storage of coins/paper. Until now that is. Which was where my questions kind of came from. Talking flips I have no idea lol. Ye I know my pics aren't the best and I apologize. In this instance it was more just to show what I was talking about as opposed to an actual grade/value. I do appreciate all them help you all have given. It is much appreciated.

@pogohatesme well, I did my best to answer your question with regard to leaving them as is or not and confirming the wrap is flimsy. Sometimes I do tend to ramble which explains the rest. Lol! That's something everyone just loves about me. NOT! 

6 hours ago, pogohatesme said:

After I posted I saw that too about the cellophane package being an issue at times. I had not really thought about separating them with the possibility of a higher value. My collecting has always been more about what I come across, what I like, and mostly just what has been given to me lol. It's never really been much about "flipping" for profit. I've never really spent much time researching a lot of it especially the storage of coins/paper. Until now that is. Which was where my questions kind of came from. Talking flips I have no idea lol. Ye I know my pics aren't the best and I apologize. In this instance it was more just to show what I was talking about as opposed to an actual grade/value. I do appreciate all them help you all have given. It is much appreciated.

You are conflating two different uses of the same word. A flip is our term for a small and inexpensive coin holder, either cardboard with a mylar window or solid thin plastic designed to fold over. While we might say we "flipped" a coin as a quick turnaround, like people do with house renovations, here we mostly use the verb to mean the act of putting the coin into a flip. The danger is in assuming the wrong meaning.

but 2 have the red trim, 1 has a dark blue/purple trim, and 1 light blue.

The red trim indicates they were made at the Denver Mint

The light blue (earlier years) and the dark blue (later years) indicate they were made at the Philadelphia Mint

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

The red trim indicates they were made at the Denver Mint

The light blue (earlier years) and the dark blue (later years) indicate they were made at the Philadelphia Mint

I suspected that to be that case but wasn't sure. Thank you.

The color scheme carries through to this day, even with the "bubble circle in card" design of the current uncirculated sets. Blue is Philly, red is Denver,