• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 D Lincoln Penny

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am new to NGC, but have been collecting for a few years now. Today I found a 1959 "D" Lincoln penny with a mint error/variety on it that I couldn't find on the NGC variety list. The "L" in Liberty is missing the bottom of it. So the word looks like IIBERTY. I was going to send it in for grading, but thought I would run it by the chat experts first. I'm not posting any photos, I don't have a fancy high resolution super close up camera for that. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the Forum

It would not be a Variety. Hard to tell exactly without a photo but it could possibly be either a grease filled die or damage. In either case it would not be worth sending in for grading unless it was a high MS coin.

Don't need a super fancy camera, cellphone images can work fine as long as they're sharply focused. On mine, I find that zooming in about 30% and holding the phone a bit farther away is a sweet spot, take a bunch of pictures, zoom in on the phone, check and pick the best one, download it to my PC, crop using Paint. It's a good skill to develop if you have more questions about your coins.