• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not NGC or PCGS Graded Coins

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so being extremely novice as I am, I am curious yall's thoughts. I received a gift a while back that contained several slabbed coins but they are not NGC or PCGS. Some are International Numismatic Bureau and others are Superior Grading Company. After researching I see that neither of these companies are very reputable. In fact couldn't find anything on SGC  except of an asphalt company lol. Anyhow, my question is what should I do with those coins? 

I don't remember much about the coins presently and can't look at them as they are inaccessible. But I do remember there are pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters. Some of the supposed grading was MS65, Gem Proof and things like that. Again, knowing the grading is probably way over coming from them companies, should I take the chance an unslab and send in to a reputable company? Or just keep as they are until such time their value may increase enough to make the cost worth it? Or just use them for some extra change in my pocket?...lol

Edited by pogohatesme

Those two graders you mentioned are both regarded as basement slabbers so anything they grade are probably inaccurate.

It is hard to say without seeing photos. You do not even say what year the coins are. More info will be required as it will depend on the coins. Some may be worth regrading, others may not. 

Yeah, those sound like what I call JGCs--Joe's Grading Companies. In other words, any clod willing to invest in a few materials can set up shop telling people what they want to hear. I understand there to be three fully recognized grading outfits: NGC, PCGS, and ANACS. ANACS I like because they come exhibit at our club's annual show (hope we can have it this year) and have done us some solids, like slabbing free of charge the coins we gave out to volunteers to recognize their (our) efforts.

Ok well I don't think it would be prudent to post 10 separate responses to show pics of each coin. If need be I can and will, just don't want to clutter things up lol. And I'm not computer literate enough to post online somewhere else and link to them.

Anyhow, there is a 1959 Jefferson "graded" MS63 by AGC (American Grading Company

1963 Jefferson graded MS62 by SCGS

2005 S DCAM GEM PROOF Jefferon by INB

1963 MS64 Jefferson by CCGC (Champion City Grading Company)

1930 Buffalo with no grade 

1963 GEM PROOF Jefferson by INB

1968 S Washington Proof 65 by AGC

A 1926 and a 1929 Wheat penny no grade on either by INB.

I doubt anyone here will give any cred to any of those grades without seeing the coins. I would treat coins slabbed by those services as ungraded. It is okay to post a thread for each coin; that's what we ask of people. Just, please, please, crop the photos well and make them as sharp as possible. Obverse and reverse, full images.

9 minutes ago, JKK said:

I doubt anyone here will give any cred to any of those grades without seeing the coins. I would treat coins slabbed by those services as ungraded. It is okay to post a thread for each coin; that's what we ask of people. Just, please, please, crop the photos well and make them as sharp as possible. Obverse and reverse, full images.

I appreciate it. Yeah I know the grades are most likely inaccurate but I will go ahead and start a thread for each one then. Thanks

Looking at your list, even going by the basement slabbers grades, I don't see anything there that would justify the cost of regrading. It would cost more than what they are worth. Unless a coin is worth at least $150.00, it is not worth grading and there is nothing close to that on your list.

The ones that aren't graded, can't really say but there must be a reason they are in holders without a grade.

50 minutes ago, pogohatesme said:

I appreciate it. Yeah I know the grades are most likely inaccurate but I will go ahead and start a thread for each one then. Thanks

I realize that it goes against the grain and feels like spamming, but the purpose of the forum is indeed to answer questions about numismatics, and we do find it easier to deal with one coin per thread. Thanks for at least being cognizant of how it might look. If that's how many coins you want opinions on, then that's how many threads it'll take to do it right.

If you find the forum software complaining that your pics are too large, open them first in an image editor (even Paint), crop well, save as .jpg. If you want a good image viewer that will help, go find Irfanview freeware. That will shrink the images doubly, once by cropping, once by simply re-saving. Should be good to go.

Treat these slabs as "a holder that fits nicely in file boxes", nothing more.