• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Morgan Silver Dollar Fake?

5 posts in this topic

07EAF2CD-E992-4701-AF63-46651914F8DA.thumb.jpeg.be4a4ca3fe9461d395404296ffcf9342.jpegAAB37F39-9325-4EF3-9860-B85E4888B0AB.thumb.jpeg.4b7349d757d73e34d8684313cb7e22c4.jpeg  I have a 1921 Morgan Silver dollar. I posted a pic of it on a couple FB groups. I’ve had mixed responses on whether the coin is counterfeit or legit and in good condition. Can anyone please take a look and offer your opinion on what you see?
Please and Thank you

Welcome to the forum. My opinion is that the coin is fake. It has that "Chinese Counterfeit" look about it.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. My opinion is that the coin is fake. It has that "Chinese Counterfeit" look about it.

I know what you mean. It's a sort of ugly grey color not really associated with silver, but with some Cu/Ni.

I actually think it's real. Based on how well-struck all the letters, numbers, stars are - usually these look rounded & blobby on fakes. Rim where it's been rubbed looks like silver. What does it weigh? Does it ring like silver?

The ugly grey color of that Morgan can be seen in some silver coins on the lower end of the scale. I've seen that color on several graded silver coins. However, I can't help with real or fake. 

Buy certified. The difference in price doesn't exist, and you'll never have to ask Real or Fake. 

You're better off that way, and it'll save you a lot of trouble. 

Buy Well-Photographed Certified ones. Not the ones you see on Ebay, where the seller is toying with the photos.

Good Luck!

Edited by Voltyris