• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake NGC Label?

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a newbie coin collector and have a few coins in NGC holders.  I received one in the mail today and was slightly concerned that the label is printed off-center. Also the hologram is different (smaller) than I usually see. Any idea if this might be a counterfeit based on the pictures? Thank you!

20200501_145224.jpg

20200501_145238.jpg

Cert lookup matches the coin. Get a barcode reader app and see if the barcode also matches? Fakers are usually too lazy to put the right barcode on. I don't see anything wrong with it though.

Terence beat me to it.

Edited by kbbpll

2 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Get a barcode reader app and see if the barcode also matches?

The NGC phone app is super quick and easy to scan coin .... anyone on here should download it if they haven't already. (and PCGS too)

3 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

It looks like the design used between 2001-2008. There is a reference on NGC's site.

https://www.ngccoin.com/about/evolution-of-ngc-holder/

Oh that's a handy link. Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have the NGC app and scanned it but I wasn't sure if fakers would just use the same barcode of a coin that has already been verified... I figured they probably wouldn't waste their time with one like mine since it isn't worth much but ya never know! :)

Nice coin, too. 67's are not that easy to find, especially from Philly.