• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

real or fake?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I just now read about the fake 1931 S Lincoln cent put out in the NGC news column a couple of days ago. Like I previously said, after roll searching many boxes of pennies from the bank, using Ken Potters Varieties, CONECA, etc..., never found anything, The few S's in the teens and twenties were all good, not 'very good', at best. The ONE coin I did find wasn't roll searching, it was from change from the drive thru fast food place about 5 weeks ago. Proud of it. Now reading that article, hmmm..., too good to be true is bouncing in my head. I don't see the 'raised bumps' around the date, and I don't THINK I see the bumps on the bust area that was described, but I'm not sure if I could recognize spark erosion transfer stuff. Do counterfeits, the latest, all look the same with 'spark erosion transfer'? And, does anyone notice anything unusual anywhere on it?  Once again, my usual bad lighting cell phone pics. Your knowledge appreciated, thanks

007.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

From the photos alone it seems to be a genuine 1931 cent with added mintmark. The S style doesn't match that of the genuine piece seen below from NGC's Coin Explorer.

A positive determination would require an in-hand examination.

1c 1931S.jpg

Thank you very much for the genuine photo for comparison, and I got the news right from the top. My cell phone pics of the obverse and reverse turned out pretty good, compared to my usual ones. Close ups, ehh, bad. No need to send it in, value and grade if it was genuine a little too close to the cutoff 'worth it' line. Not to mention, I do have it in hand, and it's fake. Even my wishful biased eyesight can see it. The right thing to do is to take it out of circulation immediately. Or, I could scrape the S off, and put a CC in it's place. It's been passed down in the family for generations, Assistant Chief Engraver in 1930 and '31 was my grandfather. He was supposed to present it to President Herbert Hoover as a joke, a unique piece, but he kept it. Never mind. Thanks again. (I don't guess you can here me mumbling 'too good to be spooning true' and *^#%$@!!). --- I forgot to say the required part about "I'm just kidding' in case someone misconstrues my intentions.

Edited by ronnie stein
explanation

14 minutes ago, Greenland said:

I would do more investigation I think it worth more than you think. Especially based on that story.. If true it could make it very valuable.. 

While you were responding, Greenland, I was editing the last sentence announcing I was just kidding about the story, so you didn't see that part. The S mintmark is way off. Thanks tho, G!    I'm going to nail it to a fencepost out back and let my grandson sight in his 22 cal rifle in on it. Or, ................never mind again. Never mind everything, he'd probably ricochet off a rock and hit one of my classic cars or something. I'm gonna walk down to the lake and throw that devil coin way out in the deep middle, be done with it. Sometimes evil things won't go away tho, I'll probably chip my tooth eating a catfish out of the lake this summer. Day 88.

Edited by ronnie stein
explanation

Thanks for the concern tho Greenland. Appreciate that. I just broke the law. Melted it. Now I've got my first true melt value piece to put in one of those extra notches in my penny collection, and I get to describe what was melted and what it's true value is. (I'm sure I won't fib any, well, maybe just a little).That should wrap up this thread. t g..