• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubling, machine doubling, maybe both..Or just die wear??

10 posts in this topic

CM200430-053236009.thumb.jpg.f665ff9ff5b1f75c9a23dffbe5a895c8.jpgCM200430-053236009.thumb.jpg.f665ff9ff5b1f75c9a23dffbe5a895c8.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761After viewing a recent catalog I downloaded  a few months ago, I stumbled  on something I haven't heard or read on any of the resource sites I've visited. Maybe I missed the topic, or haven't visited the rite site til now??? I would  definitely like to  find more references  on the subject.  1951 foreign  coin that is a double die,  that also has machine doubling on its obverse! 

I'm really  curious  as to why I haven't seen or read about the subject anyplace on NGC. 

So I'd  like to know if there are any U.S. coins that have the same or similar properties, that have been recognized, accepted, attributed, or graded, by any grading  company? But mostly  I'd like links to any of the reputable sites that go into detail  on penny's! Lol

And if the coin pics below are clear enough, can you please  let me know what you think?

I may be on to something  good here💎$$

Thanks for reading,  and much love for any opinions. 

CM200430-053042003.jpg

20200430_073756.jpg

Edited by Bree907
Left out die wear, dont need any trolls.

I think what  you are asking is if it is possible to have both DD and MD on the same coin, the answer is yes.

Here is an example of the 1969 Doubled Die shown on the top photo with Machine Doubling shown on the bottom photo

Pictures compliments of Ken Potter.

1969 MD DD.jpg

I was told that all penny before 1983 are worth at least 2 cents because of there copper?  They also are needed because you can't get those dates anymore. called supply and demand? They are also great for gifts to the next generation of coin surfers. 

2 hours ago, Greenland said:

I was told that all penny before 1983 are worth at least 2 cents because of there copper?  They also are needed because you can't get those dates anymore. called supply and demand? They are also great for gifts to the next generation of coin surfers. 

That depends entirely on the spot price of copper and speculation. Yes, cents with more copper content have a higher intrinsic value than Zincolns because the spot price of copper is often at a level that is just above face for the amount in the coin. However, there are two big caveats: first, it's currently illegal to melt cents for their copper value; and second, the logistics and complexities of actually doing so even if it were legal would require a lot of coins before you get to a return. As of this moment, Coinflation shows 100 cents melt value at $1.85, so a little less than 2 cents per coin.

7 hours ago, Bree907 said:

1951 foreign  coin that is a double die,  that also has machine doubling on its obverse! 

I'm really  curious  as to why I haven't seen or read about the subject anyplace on NGC. 

It's on NGC right here: Link

On 4/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, Greenstang said:

I think what  you are asking is if it is possible to have both DD and MD on the same coin, the answer is yes.

Here is an example of the 1969 Doubled Die shown on the top photo with Machine Doubling shown on the bottom photo

Pictures compliments of Ken Potter.

1969 MD DD.jpg

The pics I posted are a 1969s. And the doubling in the letter s , in trust, is split and of equal  size is it not???

I am using a Samsung  s10+ for pics.

CM200501-100130006.jpg

CM200501-100149010.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bree907 said:

The pics I posted are a 1969s. And the doubling in the letter s , in trust, is split and of equal  size is it not???

I am using a Samsung  s10+ for pics.

No, the coin you posted is not a double die, it is just plain strike doubling.  The difference is that on a true double die the secondary lettering will be the same height as the first, rounded with an easily visible split between the serfs of the letters.  Strike doubling is lower in relief and looks like a shelf, just as your coin does.

34 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

No, the coin you posted is not a double die, it is just plain strike doubling.  The difference is that on a true double die the secondary lettering will be the same height as the first, rounded with an easily visible split between the serfs of the letters.  Strike doubling is lower in relief and looks like a shelf, just as your coin does.

I know  it's not the double die .lol thought it might be one of the less desirable is all😫 thanks.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:24 PM, Greenland said:

I was told that all penny before 1983 are worth at least 2 cents because of there copper?

In THEORY, if you were paid the full spot metal price for copper they would be worth 2 cents,  But the spot price is for PURE metal not an alloyed metal.  The real world price you might get for the alloyed copper would be about 25% of the spot price which would mean the real world value of the copper in the pre 1982 cents is .5 cents each.  Copper spot price would have to approach $8 a pound to get 2 cents real world metal value out of them, and it so hasn't broken $5 a pound and is currently $2.29 a pound.