• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JFK Error opinions

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what's going on with this coin? It looks like there's an eagle in on his head as well as multiple letters and other random marks. At first I thought it was the eagle from the back of the coin but I don't think that's the case. Please share your thoughts!

Chad D.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 5.39.53 PM.png

83-JFK_1.jpg

83_JFK_2.jpg

Edited by Chad D.
Tags

That's a weird JFK because its fields show flow lines not uncharacteristic of uncs, but the details are very mushy. A part of me wants to suppose it is a severely deteriorated die. It's not the sort of coin that would normally make sense to counterfeit, but the strike is muddy enough that if it were a different coin, one might ask about authenticity. It's reasonable to wonder just what could have made that mess on JFK's temple (which given historical circumstances is a bit of damage in atrocious taste, but certainly not your fault).

I kind of begin to wonder whether it's brockage: a second JFK, flipped over (thus obverse to obverse), stuck in the die. I'm not sure if brockage is even the correct term for that. I suppose PMD is possible, but the only PMD that would create such muddy details on the reverse would be a real bad dip in something like phosphoric acid, and the first casualty there would have been the flow lines; it would also be pitted, nasty nasty.

From the smaller circular evident raising or lowering (can't tell which) on the obverse, I wonder if maybe a quarter reverse happened to end up being struck into this obverse, but that's just a wild speculation.

Edited by JKK

I don't have much knowledge on the minting process so I wasn't sure which coins could have been pressed on this coin. However, I tried to research which coins were minted at the Philadelphia mint in 1983 and tried to compare each one with the this one. I haven't recieved any luck so I decided to join this forum post. Thank you for taking the time to help me out. 

We're assuming US coin would have been pressed into it leaving those marks...what about foreign? The first thing I thought of when I saw those temple marks was Marianne's hair...

I can see that! I thought of Liberty's hair on the peace dollar but I don't think that would be possible in 1983. 

This eagle I keep seeing keeps throwing me off. 

Eagle.jpg

You are seeing a coin struck from extremely worn dies, so worn you have extensive flowlining, severely worn details (hence the mushy appearance) and some PIDT (Progress Indirect Design Transfer)

Just tired wornout dies.