• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Ike Proof Dollars

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am an extremely novice collector and have several questions. I'll start with my 1971 Ike Dollars. I have 2 of them that appear to be in the mint packaging. On the bottom of the slab it's etched "packaged by us mint". The mint mark appears to me to be S on both. When attempting to check approximate value, the S mint mark indicates that the coin is silver, as just a 1971 "clad" doesn't have S mint mark,would this be accurate? Also, since the package indicates it's a proof coin, where would that fall as far as like MS65 or what not? Here is the best pic I could get. Sorry the lighting sucks.

20200428_165421.jpg

Looks like original packaging of a 1971-S "brown box" Ike, 40% silver. I still have mine with the original order confirmation card. Cool coin but not a good investment. I spent $10 in 1971 and these still sell for $13 free shipping.

DSCF2250.JPG

18 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Looks like original packaging of a 1971-S "brown box" Ike, 40% silver. I still have mine with the original order confirmation card. Cool coin but not a good investment. I spent $10 in 1971 and these still sell for $13 free shipping.

DSCF2250.JPG

Thank you for the reply. After I posted I researched and realized that at least it is real and original packaging. 

12 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Cool coin but not a good investment. I spent $10 in 1971 and these still sell for $13 free shipping.

Just to have kept up with inflation they would have to be selling for $29.85