• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1882-O Morgan Silver Dollar -> Does VAM 17A Exist?

1 post in this topic

Greetings!

I recently got a Morgan 1882-O that appears to be a VAM 17A.  On the obverse side, 1) it has the characteristic long crack with breaks above the date, 2) it has metal in 882, 3) it has a long, vertical die gouge down from the tip of the lowest leaf, 4) I think I see the die gouge through TY of LIBERTY although I don't see it continue through the hair above the forehead, 5) there is no die break through the first U of PLURIBUS, which would otherwise be assigned to VAM 17B, but 6) I cannot find the clashed die with partial incuse st of Trust from reverse purportedly showing in right hair vee of lower hair edge. I'm brand new to this, and the picture below is the best I can get (much better detail than the magnifying glass I use) - I may not be looking in the right place.  On the reverse side, I become a little lost.  The O mint mark is indeed tilted left, without any horizontal die scratch at bottom of opening (as possible in VAM 6 and VAM 16), but to me this looks more like an O/O left.  While I recognize that NGC does not attribute VAM 17A, any thoughts on how this one might be classified? 

Thank you for your time.

Russ

1882-O Morgan (Obverse).jpg

1882-O Morgan (Reverse).jpg