• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Ancient Rome Coin

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm new to this coin world. My father has left me his coin collection and I'm going through it and found some interesting things. Might anyone know the value of this Ancient Rome Mark Anthony Denarius? Would it be something that I can get preserved or graded for future generations?

My apologies for the not so good picture, I think I might need a better camera for these coin pictures.

Mark Anthony - Ancient Rome 2.jpg

Mark Anthony - Ancient Rome.jpg

Better pictures and more cropping, plus weight and diameter (in g and mm). I can't even tell from these whether to think it's authentic.

Hi JKK,

So, I don't have something to measure it right now, but it weighs 2.90 g and under a magnifying glass and cropping I took another set of pictures. It looks real in my opinion. Let me know your thoughts.

Mark Anthony - Ancient Rome (Close up).jpg

Mark Anthony - Ancient Rome 2 (Close up).jpg

The new photos help. It doesn't look consistent with genuine examples. If you want to help your own cause, look through examples at Wildwinds and try to find one with LEG VIII under the shish kebabs and mounted bird. See if you think they look similar. What I think it is: a silver-plated counterfeit, perhaps contemporary, that is delaminating. But I'm not an authoritative source for ancients' authenticity.