• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan toning
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm becoming somewhat infatuated with toned coins, didn't think I would, but sure enough, after going through thousands of pics on the 'Follow Me' and 'Most Recent' threads, etc...,  those toned Morgans on Ebay are getting tempting. I haven't bought any coins from there yet, paranoid of scam rip offs, not to mention I'm just learning, and everything I learn this week makes me laugh at what I thought I knew last week. I see so many overpriced coins. There has been many beautiful Morgan 'toners' on Ebay, but I'm not going to jump in yet. When a Morgan is heavily rainbow toned on either the obv or rev, but no toning on the other side, isn't that highly unusual? I know not impossible, but do you think I should stay away from those? I'd hate to pay $200 for a $60 piece that's been artificially toned. Like I always say, so much to learn. H-, there might be some Versace/ Andy Warhol secret initial things going on with 'toners' that I don't know about. Appreciate the help. 

As usual, I proof read after I hit submit. Yes, there was a couple of questions in the middle of all I had to say. Thanks for deciphering through it. Greenland, I was just speaking in general, not any particular Morgan, I scroll thru them all every day. Unbelievably, I've never bought Anything off of Ebay, but thank you, I know you all have bought many coins and recognize a lot of sellers, ratings, etc...kbbpll, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. The 8 or so of you are amazing help. I don't know how you all do it, the same over and over (here we go again) questions. There's someone being born right now that in 20 yrs you all will be nicely answering their newbie questions, showing the small date graphs, finally Vk will say spoon it, and just say please read this. Maybe might get a 4 week vacation out of the deal. Anyway, brevity has never been my strong point, Thanks to all. (just kidding Vk)

Edited by ronnie stein

The debate on toned coins has been going on for years, some people like them some don't.  Even when you can get two collectors to agree that they like toning its highly likely that they will never agree on what toning looks good, and forget about having a consensus on what is natural or AT. :slapfight:   I prefer my coins untoned but I do like and own some toned coins, but toned coins can be a well that cannot be climbed out of.  By that I am referring to the huge; at times massive; premiums that have been and are paid for that little bit of color.  Its very easy to pay thru the nose for a toned coin only to find out when you go to sell said coin that you are the only one that likes it that much and end up losing a bunch of money.  Its a tricky somewhat finicky market full of baked and smoked AT coins that can look very real to an untrained eye, so if you decide to venture out into the pool be sure you stay in the kiddy end to start.  Buy what you like but then attempt to sell one or two that you've bought so you can see if what you like appeals and will sell to others before you dive in.