• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 p and 2000 p nickles DDD/strike doubling
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, after reading the article that Vkurt posted,  I went searching for these two nickels in my example pile to learn more about. Of course 1989 and beyond was different they didn't do repunched MMs. So I'm taking that these are die deterioration die and or strike doubling. Wanted to say die erosion. If this is true, then it's best to keep these around for learning purposes for myself so I know what the difference is. My question is if not RPM which clearly looks like that, how is something like that caused. Was the die shifted some way or to much torque on the press. I feel these might be good examples what newbies like myself can learn by. Interesting. 

20200421_110148.jpg

20200421_110127.jpg

20200421_105616.jpg

20200421_105447.jpg

As I understand it this happens when the die bounces during the striking process.  This is taken from the publication CoinWeek:  I don't really agree with the articles' calling it a striking error but the rest of the comment is correct.

"On the other hand, there is mechanical doubling. This type of doubling, which is also known as strike, ejection, shelf or shift doubling, is not the result of the design on the die being doubled. Rather, this type of doubling occurs when the die strikes a planchet. If the die is not properly seated, it can move slightly or bounce during the moment of striking, creating a flat, shelf-like doubling. This effect will be different on all coins struck, so it is technically not a variety, but rather more of a striking error."

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those coins displays some strike doubling, but mostly they are victims of die erosion, aka die abrasion.

See ,this is what I'm talking about. This is why I like being on this forum. When it comes down to the point of coins on here, you all tell the truth and very honest letting people know what's happening to there precious. Lol. I'm one of those when I started when seeing some kind of doubled I thought I hit a rich one. Until you all explained what's going on with my coin's. That's what had me buy books and do some research. I was terming and interesting to learn more. So I thank everyone in here for helping me understand a whole lot in this hobby. And for all newbies if you do your part to really understand what everyone in here says and do some reading and research you all will have learned what you want to learn. I'm just saying, to all the experience one's in here keep up the good work. You all are awesome.