• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm trying to grade. I think these 1964 quarter are ms 62 or ms63

10 posts in this topic

The second coin has the best strike, the first and second coin look to have some discolored areas that might indicate rub so I'd call those two AU.  The third coin has the most marks and more toning but looks MS, MS62 sounds right for it.  That's my guess from your photo, hard to say for sure without tipping the first two coins into the light and see if the luster is broken.

35 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

The second coin has the best strike, the first and second coin look to have some discolored areas that might indicate rub so I'd call those two AU.  The third coin has the most marks and more toning but looks MS, MS62 sounds right for it.  That's my guess from your photo, hard to say for sure without tipping the first two coins into the light and see if the luster is broken.

wow, that was a surprised to me. the rub is what causes the loss of hair on the front and the feathers in the middle of the breast on the back. right. i think they have luster. the pictures don't show how pretty they really are.  thank you for your help.

Edited by Greenland
spelling

1 hour ago, Greenland said:

wow, that was a surprised to me. the rub is what causes the loss of hair on the front and the feathers in the middle of the breast on the back. right. i think they have luster. the pictures don't show how pretty they really are.  thank you for your help.

Keep in mind I'm grading a photo not a coin so I have to look for clues.  I took your photos and highlighted some areas in red, notice how on the rev the wing edges are a darker color and look dull.  That can be a sign of rub or friction, or it may just be a function of the lighting, but that is what I see that could potentially be a luster break and reduce the grade to AU.  On the obv again I've highlighted the areas where the color is darker and gives the suggestion of rub.  I'm not saying that those two are AU, those areas could just be from a weak strike, but if I was looking to buy them and only had this photos to go on AU would be my conservative call.

64so.png

64s.png

Edited by Coinbuf

Another quick point that took me a long time to learn: you have to look for the luster breaks to determine if it is rub or weak strike; you've got an amazing example between the 2nd and 3rd coins. Look at the hair detail and breast feathers on both; it's easy when rushing to mistake a weak strike for wear.

Also, arguably still learning this point myself.

17 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Another quick point that took me a long time to learn: you have to look for the luster breaks to determine if it is rub or weak strike; you've got an amazing example between the 2nd and 3rd coins. Look at the hair detail and breast feathers on both; it's easy when rushing to mistake a weak strike for wear.

Also, arguably still learning this point myself.

I am learning more everyday. But I look at my coins and then look on ebay and see BU 67 grades going for penny. Why??? How come they don't get them graded or send them to NGC and sell them for hundreds of dollars.. Why? 

Thank you

6 hours ago, Greenland said:

But I look at my coins and then look on ebay and see BU 67 grades going for penny. Why??? How come they don't get them graded or send them to NGC and sell them for hundreds of dollars.. Why? 

Because the vast, vast, VAST majority of them are nowhere near a 67. While there are many Ebay sellers who trade fairly (as a starting point, there's a thread in the Coin Marketplace forum that links Ebay IDs with forum users here) there are also many whose goal is to separate the proverbial fool from their money. Don't be that fool. Look at grading company price guides and auction results to get a sense of what a coin should be worth -- deep discounts are a flag that something is not as it should be.

4 hours ago, Kirt said:

Because the vast, vast, VAST majority of them are nowhere near a 67. While there are many Ebay sellers who trade fairly (as a starting point, there's a thread in the Coin Marketplace forum that links Ebay IDs with forum users here) there are also many whose goal is to separate the proverbial fool from their money. Don't be that fool. Look at grading company price guides and auction results to get a sense of what a coin should be worth -- deep discounts are a flag that something is not as it should be.

I thank you for your input.. I was so happy that i sold a roll of 1983  quarter..only to fine it was a scam. lollol they haven't been pay for yet.. lollol This person wanted me to go outside of ebay to complete the sale.. I said no. so sad. I have a lot of tenacity and I have learn a lot since coming here. lollol  and i have a lot of coins to learn from without going out to buy any.. thank you.. stay safe.