• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada coins, are they real. are they worth selling

13 posts in this topic

Just now, kbbpll said:

I only see one Canadian.

You're right. I didn't realize from the presentation that we got both sides.

thank you, I guess they are real not fakes? I don't want to sell any fakes. world coin can't tell if they are fake can it? there is a big price different between 66 and 68.. I don't think any of mine are 68?  

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

This is one of those "Teach a man to fish" moments.

You have access to the internet, probably the greatest source of free knowledge, if used correctly and with discernment, that has ever been created. You can get simple answers from us about your coins, say, "okay, cool." and go on the next group. Or, you can do some research for yourself, and learn many things, in addition to the identity and value of your coins, along the way.

For example: I did a word search for the wording on your first coin, "Republica Portugesa 1957 50 Centavos." (I use the search engine DuckDuckGo.) I got results from Numista, NGC, ebay, Silverage coins, ucoin.net, and others. From ucoin, I learned that Angola, Macau, Mozambique, and East Timor were all Portugese colonies or provinces. I learned that Portugal coined Centavos and Escudos in many denominations, for these provinces/colonies, and for the Portugese Republic. All of the coins listed on the site had their Krause numbers listed, so that gave me more information to use, if I wanted to research further into a particular coin.

From Silverage, I learned the weight, composition, diameter, mintage number, and the fact that it was coined "medal turn", and not "coin turn," the way our coins are.

From NGC, I got a really nice picture of an uncirculated coin, and mintages of every 50 Centavos minted from 1927 to 1968, along with retail values for each year in five different grades.

An advanced search on Ebay for "sold" items will give you prices realized for your coin and many others, so you have real prices that people have actually paid, and not just retail prices.

And it goes on and on. The Japanese invaded East Timor in 1942, and in the process, trapped 400 Dutch and Australian commandos that had been stationed there. The commandos waged a guerilla war and inflicted over 1000 casualties on the Japanese troops. Had I never looked up your coin and followed some links, I would never had learned that. And that was just one of the many bits of information that could be gleaned from a very small amount of time searching and reading.

We certainly don't mind helping out a new collector, or even a seasoned one. The many posts and answers on this site will attest to that fact. But if we simply hand you the answers to all of your questions, we are essentially robbing you of the opportunity to learn so much about your coins and the countries that minted and used them.

1 hour ago, Greenland said:

thank you, I guess they are real not fakes? I don't want to sell any fakes. world coin can't tell if they are fake can it? there is a big price different between 66 and 68.. I don't think any of mine are 68?  

I think at least a couple are about 66-68 years old.

1 hour ago, Greenland said:

there is a big price different between 66 and 68

In addition to the above advice, once you can find a coin on your own, you're going to have to learn to grade them yourself, at least within a ballpark. Seeing a big value under 66 or 68 in a price guide and then getting your hopes up is useless if you can't tell that your coin is nowhere near those grades. Look at other images and learn to at least tell whether a coin is circulated or uncirculated. None of these coins are uncirculated. Worry about fakes later, after you can figure out whether a coin is worth more than a couple bucks.

Got all excited at the heading " Canada coins for sale" but then I see that there is one each from Portugal, Phillipines, Great Britian and Canada. Don't think there is anything there of great value but you might get a couple of dollars for the lot.

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Got all excited at the heading " Canada coins for sale" but then I see that there is one each from Portugal, Phillipines, Great Britian and Canada. Don't think there is anything there of great value but you might get a couple of dollars for the lot.

I have alot of Canadian coins.. None of them are the keys date. only a few 50'  a lot of 60'70'80'90'2000' and bicentennial. but none good enough to sell. a couple of 1945..