• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roger Burdette's Saint Gaudens Double Eagles Book
4 4

2,676 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2024 at 9:55 AM, RWB said:

The two incorrectly labeled coins are in private collections. The 1910 coin's "Experimental Finish" has no technical description -- it is another "looks like" nonsense guess. There are two 1921s subject to similar false descriptions. The 1921 I examined was struck from clashed dies. It is not a proof. I have not examined the other one.

The 1910 coin in question was clearly a special production of some sort. Whether it is technically "Proof", "Experimental", "Specimen", or whatever, is debatable and not certain. But multiple experts, grading companies, and bidders agree that it is special.

Edited by dcarr

On 10/16/2024 at 11:18 PM, dcarr said:

The 1910 coin in question was clearly a special production of some sort. Whether it is technically "Proof", "Experimental", "Specimen", or whatever, is debatable and not certain. But multiple experts, grading companies, and bidders agree that it is special.

But that isn't proof.  It may LOOK like those things -- and maybe they can (legally) put it on a label.

But it isn't 100% proof.

Possible or probable ?  Maybe.   Definitive ?  No. (thumbsu

🐓  :  What now, Quintus?  You, as I recall, were once banned for "contentiousness," but this goes way beyond the pale.

Q.A.:  Well, rather than prolong this -- and let's not kid ourselves this does not have anything to do with @dcarr 's creative flights of fancy with which @RWB  is unalterably opposed -- in the alternative there is only one suggestion that shall discourage discomfort and dampen members' inclination to choose sides and that is invite both combatants to the White House, and shake hands over an ice-cold frothy brewski a la Obama.

I do not believe I have ever seen two gentlemen get all worked up over an issue that an agency of the U.S.G. deemed to be perfectly legal. (Unknown to viewers here, it was I who took a paper of record to task recently for suggesting Philippe Petit's high-wire walk between the Trade Towers back in '73 was not regarded as a "crime" as originally reported and should therefore not be so regarded now some fifty years later. I placed the blame squarely at "Give me REWRITE's" door -- and my letter was published.)

If anyone feels so strongly about Mr. Carr's artistic "interpretations," the preferred arena is a court of law.  Thus far, THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA has ruled in Mr. Carr's favor.  I want it understood I take no position on the matter whatsoever. I seek only to have the matter resolved amicably so we can get back to the real task at hand:  attacking Newbies who've been brainwashed into believing they may very well have "discovered" the fourth '82-D ERROR found :whatthe:  in 40 years. 

Edited by Henri Charriere
Usual die polishing.

🐓  :  I will be the first to admit my conduct on this Chat Board has been less than exemplary.  Malheureusement, I am but a minnow in an ocean which has benn hourly depleted by every manner of fish by ocean-going trailers outfitted with nets extending miles behind them. I say, let's try to make the most of what we have.

I have no claim to fame here. Anyone can do what I have done at a fraction of my cost. One need only dedication, stamina, endurance and perseverance.  

The perspective changes when one has acquired status.  Take away my gold roosters and I am a mere rumor: "Oh yeah, wasn't that the guy that assembled a compilation sitting in a chair with a cell phone... I wonder what he's up to now. He's not selling.  He has no heirs. He's never spoken to anyone, never met anyone. He's never even been to a coin show. I don't think he's even got a Red Book! He's an odd bird."  I have no quarrel with any of the foregoing descriptors because they are the God's honest truth.

What really bothers me is, like it or not, our Grand Master is a role model.  He may believe he has the right to express himself as he wishes, but that does not extend to a public forum.  Here we have a modicum of decorum.  I fear that restraint will evaporate and one or both parties, inadvertently or not, will descend into saying something there will be no coming back from.

Viewers may recall I baldly challenged the gentleman hailing from the Magnolia State with a false sense of bravado.  He bided his time and responded by meticulously reducing me to a cipher. Touché!  I could not respond!  He quoted me!  Everything he said was the truth!  I would not want to see this hullabaloo erupt into something unseemly. That's my line of thinking.  I have a high regard for both parties.  I would ideally prefer we declare a ceasefire and relieve those who frequent the Forum to get what they came for: a civil exchange of information, knowledge and wisdom.

All in favor, say Aye!

THIS!!!! This type of 💩 right here is why I will FOREVER be in Camp Carr, and NEVER BE IN Camp Burdette. Roger just makes up stuff out of whole cloth, or rather, paper, and TRIES (as if…) to turn back first person acquired knowledge from whomever has it. I consider Roger to be a fraud for that very reason alone.

Roger deals in unsupported opinion and childish insults to his intellectual superiors. Do I like all of Mr. Carr’s designs? No, many are not my cup o’ tea. But Mr. Burdette’s frequent childish rants disqualify him from being taken seriously. 5th grade talent? He HAS DESIGNED TWO UNITED STATES STATE QUARTER REVERSES, FOR GAWD’S SAKE! How many has Roger? Hmmmm???

If you want to be taken seriously, you really need to back off of the idiotic Burdette worship. He’s a clown.🤡 He should be asking Mr. Carr questions, not providing false answers. And there are NUMEROUS career staff at the ANA who agree with me. It is the moronic Board that named him Numismatist of the Year last year. And several now regret that decision, as does their Legal Counsel given Mr.Burdette’s past antics, as itemized to her by me.

On this very discussion board, Mr. Burdette has repeatedly and often engaged in libel per se as it relates to Mr. Carr, AND HE KNOWS IT! The ANA Board knows it, the staff know it, and all of YOU KNOW IT.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But it isn't 100% proof.

What is? I submit the standard is farrrrrr too high. Not even a criminal court requires 100% proof to convict, but only absence of reasonable doubt, which means —- a doubt with a reason. Just because criminal juries typically don’t understand what Reasonable Doubt (they’re often lied to by BOTH lawyers and judges about it) is, it doesn’t make it stop being a goal.

Oh, don’t you DARE misapply Reasonable Doubt in a civil proceeding. It doesn’t apply. In civil cases, it boils down to “Preponderance”, or more likely than not.

Note: if Alabama makes the unfortunate choice to call me for jury duty, they’ll learn what this relocated Yankee, ex of the Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee staff, thinks of their kangaroo courts. Alabama lawyers are all inherently corrupt. They HAVE TO BE. The state constitution basically requires it. Here, EVERY auto accident results in a lawsuit, without exception, unless you don’t want your insurance to be worth anything. We don’t have political ads in this state, just ambulance chasing lawyer ads. No first party medical coverage, no no-fault auto insurance, no anything the real world has adopted to disincentivize ambulance chasing. Just lawsuits, usually decided by which lawyer has greased the judge’s palm at campaign time. My wife’s previous home was stolen from her by a corrupt state legal system and a super-corrupt so-called arbitrator. The closing attorney when I bought down here advised me to NEVER NEVER NEVER sign the Realtor’s boilerplate listing contract if I ever sell. It’s filthy. 

Edited by VKurtB