• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin id help

8 posts in this topic

I recently picked up this as part of a lot that I won in an auction.  I would like to get it graded but I unfortunately can't read the inscriptions.  If anyone is able to help me identify it, I would greatly appreciate it.  The penny is for size reference and I named the photos with obverse and reverse just so I knew which was which, I unfortunately don't know which is the obverse or reverse.

Coin obverse.jpg

Coin reverse.jpg

Looks Ottoman, AH 1293, can't read regnal year, 1 kurush, Kustantiniya (Constantinople) mint. Photos too distant to say more, plus need diameter and weight (also the bottom one is upside down). If you want to know more about it, better information will help.

It's Ottoman - I think 1 kurush minted in 1902, one of the more common years. To tell more we need better pics. It should be silver. Your bottom pic is the obverse and needs to be rotated 180 degrees.

Ah, @JKK beat me to it. He's way more expert than I am but we both identified the same way - I think you have your answer.

Edited by Kirt

The only other realistic possibility was Afghan, but the zarb on the reverse led into a mint name that no Afghan coin has ever had. Also, in that timeframe, I think Afghan coins were still coming out somewhat irregular and didn't start to look modern until the very late 1800s. I just went through an enormous collection of them but I do not precisely remember when they joined the modern minting age.

First picture the top portion of the inscription says "was struck in", the bottom word, the one than looks like it has two b's in it, is Constantinople.  So it is Turkey.  Below Constantinople is the AH date in Arabic numerals 1294.  That is the date the ruler came to power.To get a rough AD date multiple by .97 and add 622.  You get 1876.

As mentioned the second picture is upside down. The central portion is called a toughra and was a stylised form of the Sultan's signature.  Below it is "manat" (year) and the year of the rulers reign.  In this case year 27.  So the year of the coin is roughly 1876 + 27 = 1903.(Actually it's 1901)  Composition is silver, and the denomination from the size 1 Kurush.  The little inscription by the toughra is El Ghazi "The Victorious". Catalog number is KM735.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Below Constantinople is the AH date in Arabic numerals 1294.

[...]

Below it is "manat" (year) and the year of the rulers reign.  In this case year 27.

Might look again. Pretty certain it's 1293.

That below it is actually "sanat," but you are right about what it means. At least on these they didn't write the regnal year out.