• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie: Found an Alexander Stater - Real or Fake?

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm a total newbie when it comes to coins. Was searching through my grandfather's collection and found this. With some search I found that this "should" be an Alexander stater coin, but is this a legit one or a forgery? Thank you for your help!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

Looks fake to me. And not a very good fake, either.

Yeah, that's what it looks like even to my amateur eyes...just wanted to have someone more experienced confirm it, since I've got no real knowledge of coins.

3 minutes ago, newbieslo said:

Yeah, that's what it looks like even to my amateur eyes...just wanted to have someone more experienced confirm it, since I've got no real knowledge of coins.

It makes sense to ask. This is a nice break from all the fake 1804 silver dollars, 1776 Continental dollars, 1943 non-Zn/steel pennies, and other very commonly posted pieces. I think this is a souvenir replica rather than an intended counterfeit, given the complete absence of normal flaws endemic to ancient coinage. I doubt anyone made it with any sincere earnest to fool anyone sophisticated and banked enough (which does not include me) to shop for Greek staters.

I think it falls more under "replica" than "forgery". Museum gift shops in Greece are probably still selling these, along with copies of vases, busts, etc. Did your grandfather travel?

14 minutes ago, newbieslo said:

I might have solved the mystery. It appears to be the replica issued by Slovene National Museum of the golden coin they hold.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces187739.html

Possibly, but only if the museum had multiple orders made from different dies. The details on the pictured coin and your coin are quite different.

30 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Possibly, but only if the museum had multiple orders made from different dies. The details on the pictured coin and your coin are quite different.

In my first picture, I think the flash from my mobile phone gave it a bit of a different hue. Here it is without the flash. Considering that my grandfather lived his entire life in Slovenia, I'd say that's probably another possible clue that the coin is a replica from the Slovene national museum. But you are right, there appear to still be some differences between the two...so no idea where this would originate from ultimately, at least not conclusively

20200412_133756.jpg

20200412_133856.jpg

Edited by newbieslo