• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The good, bad and the ugly
1 1

5 posts in this topic

The Good, the bad and the ugly

First off let me thank NGC for providing prompt service of my submissions.
  I sent 3 coins in to be graded as I'm slowly learning this whole grading world a little better.
My Submissions were: 1912 $5 Indian Head, a 1853 G$1 Liberty Head and a 1912 $2.5 Indian Head ...the results follow along with a question to one.

--------------------------------------------

NGC Cert #
    4774744-001
NGC Description
    1912 $5
NGC Grade
    AU Details

Comment
    MOUNT REMOVED ...see image attached...could this been the cause of the "Mount Removed" status ? I had removed the case carefully prior to shipping but gold is pliable so(shrug)
Given it's grade status now I'm going to have to find a happy medium on a value range or is this simply in melt value category. All good.

Label
    NGC Standard Brown

NGC Cert #
    4774743-001
NGC Description
    1853 G$1
NGC Grade
    NOT GENUINE  ....kinda bummed about this but after going through other images I noticed the distinct differences and should be ashamed of myself...haha (was one of the 1st I purchased)
I've already emailed the seller and they have offered to refund my money once I get my coin(s) back from NGC and send it and info to them. Funny how it came from a Police auction..hmmm LOL

NGC Cert #
    4774743-002
NGC Description
    1912 $2.5
NGC Grade
    AU 58

Label
NGC Standard Brown

This I'm please with as I was only one off to my own opinion of the grade.

-----------------------------------  Thanks for reading -----------------------------------------

The 1912 $5 Mount Removed coin. Not my image, didn't take one prior to shipping.

1912.5dollar.Indian.Head.01a.jpg

I don't really see your question??  Are you asking about the mount issue (you note that you removed a case are you talking about the white plastic holder as the case)?  Or are you asking about the value of the coin because it came back in a details holder?

First anytime you remove a coin from a jewelry mount your chances of getting a details grade are extremely high, jewelry mounts almost always leave an impression on gold coins.  Generic date gold coins like this were very popular coins to place in jewelry mounts so the grading services are very adept at spotting the damage mounts leave.  Second yes 1912 is not a rare or scarce date in the $5 Indian series so its value is going to be melt value for many buyers.  Even if it had straight graded with the current gold prices even generic date MS61 coins are valued close to melt right now.

Edited by Coinbuf

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I don't really see your question??  Are you asking about the mount issue (you note that you removed a case are you talking about the white plastic holder as the case)?  Or are you asking about the value of the coin because it came back in a details holder?
Yes, the question or even pondering, was about the damaged created by the holder it was first in. I didn't feel the coin was of any particular value but I was unsure on how such a designation would affect any future resale of the coin. Some I keep to collect for my self indulgence and some to resell. I was just curious is all
This was my 1st time submitting anything to a grading service.

....Thanks for the reply.

First anytime you remove a coin from a jewelry mount your chances of getting a details grade are extremely high, jewelry mounts almost always leave an impression on gold coins.  Generic date gold coins like this were very popular coins to place in jewelry mounts so the grading services are very adept at spotting the damage mounts leave.  Second yes 1912 is not a rare or scarce date in the $5 Indian series so its value is going to be melt value for many buyers.  Even if it had straight graded with the current gold prices even generic date MS61 coins are valued close to melt right now.

The damage didn't come from the white plastic holder, those are very common and will not damage a coin unless in the process of removing it from the holder the coin was damaged.  Without seeing the coin my guess is that the damage details grade came about because the coin was at some time previously in a jewelry mount or bezel of some type, as I said those mounts and bezels leave impressions on soft gold.  Keep in mind that I'm just guessing to some degree as you haven't provided photos to see what the damage is.  If you can provide clear large photos of both sides of the coin I and others can be more specific on how the damage happened.

Suppose to arrive this coming Sat. I'll upload a few images and at the same time get my new spiffy magnifying glass out for these old eyes...lol

Edited by EdG_Ohio
spelling