• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 wheat cent

12 posts in this topic

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking... 1943 cents were zinc over steel. If you're thinking that this is one of the extremely rare 1943 D cents struck in bronze, then re-struck as 1944 D, I hate to burst your bubble but the odds against that are astronomical. If you think that the die was a 1943/1944, that's more probable but extremely unlikely. In your photo, there's a slight variation in the metal that comes off the bottom of the inside of the 2nd 4 at about 5 o'clock. If that is what is making you think it's an overstruck '43 and that's the tail of the 3, it's in the wrong position - it is too high and slightly too close to the 4. Given the heavy wear on this coin, that's random post-mint damage.

Edited by Kirt

If everything else can be stamped over and repunch why not it can happen.if we are looking for small over large dates .the whole 43 is trailing .and yes it would be wear on it it's a 1944 penny.:) 

16 minutes ago, Jonescoins said:

If everything else can be stamped over and repunch why not it can happen.if we are looking for small over large dates .the whole 43 is trailing .and yes it would be wear on it it's a 1944 penny.:) 

Die varieties occur during the process of creating the dies, not during the coining process. A large over small date, small over large date, or a re-punched date would would be the result of the die itself being re-hubbed or re-punched, not an individual coin going through the press twice. While there have been some re-punched mint marks discovered for 1944 - the D/S that you mentioned is one - there have been no re-punched dates reported. I do not think your coin is the first one. It is just a bit of damage that looks like something else.

I truly appreciate that information guys, you guys are good teacher.yes! Sometimes we want things to appear the way we see it.not knowing there's always a deeper process to the method

Edited by Jonescoins

Yes people have endured alot,still a 1944 d over S really? No? I'm not a good photographic! Our conscious mind don't deceive us. Already know for a 1944 D penny with a S covering.if you took your time slowly to focus and you would clearly see 43 is stamped over by 44.trust I will try to take better pic. Even the mintmark you will see if you slowly pull focus  the S is there.,👍