• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a cleaned coin ever worth more than melt value?

7 posts in this topic

I just had some gold coins graded.  3 of the 4 coins were not graded due to being previously cleaned or mounted. I'm curious as to if I should just go to a jeweler and try and sell for melt value, or try and sell on ebay?

Does anyone ever pay more than melt value for a coin that's been cleaned?Screenshot_20200409-200132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.066727b3c7a15de5d0f0b5f41cf7199b.jpg

Obviously,  it depends on the coin and the amount of damage that has been done to it, but a cleaned coin can easily sell for more than melt value. As a general rule of thumb, you can expect a coin to be discounted the value equivalent of 2 or 3 letter grades if it receives a "details" grade. For example, a coin graded "AU Details" might be expected to bring F or VF money. Again, it will depend on the coin and the type/amount of damage. A "BENT,CLEANED" or "MOUNT REMOVED" coin would probably sell for less than one that was just cleaned.

Edited by Just Bob

Completely agree with what @Just Bob said, the amount and type of damage or cleaning along with the desirability or key date status of the coin will be weighed by the buyers to determine a details coin's market value.

This is wonderful news.

Although I know nothing of coins, the Mexican coin I have looks very nice and my initial thoughts of scrapping it for melt value was a shame.

Thanks for giving me hope for a higher sale value.

=)

I think the Key point is the initial value of the coin and how much it degrades due to mounting, or cleaning, or etc.   If the gold coin is simply a bullion coin to begin with, and not a rare or collectible date, then it is only worth its melt value regardless of its improper handling.  On the other hand, if it is a rare or collectible date, then those points made by Just Bob and Coin Buf are completely accurate.

Edited by Mokiechan

All the time. I have a cleaned 1909-S VDB penny that's about VG details. Its melt value is whatever a copper penny is worth today. While I wouldn't get as much for it as if it had slabbed problem-free, or even been slabbed with a details grade, it's worth more than melt.

The general rule I follow is that a coin has three potential values (two, if demonetized). Metal value, numismatic value, and face (unless demonetized and not redeemable). Highest number wins. I generally estimate lightly cleaned coins at one grade below and badly cleaned coins two grades below.