• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alexander Tetradrachm. Thracian?

7 posts in this topic

Hi There,

I'd like to pick on the experience and knowledge of collectors who knows more about the coinage of Alexander the great than i do. I have a acquaintance who sent me this picture of this tetradrachm of Alexander from his collection. However, it looks unlike the Alex tetradrachms i've seen before. The portrait style and the flan makes me suspect that it could be of one of the Balkan tribes or Thracian mintage?

Thanks

Alex1.jpg

Alex2.jpg

That is a very strange-looking coin for a number of reasons. I'm not even convinced it's authentic, and just because someone put it into a rather nice slab doesn't influence that.

Yeah, that was my  reaction as well. Upon seeing it the first time, i questioned it's authenticity.  It's aesthetics ,or lack thereof, and style are poor in comparison to the lifetime issues and other posthumous  Alexes i've seen. However i'm aware there were tribal imitations made as well. Curious as to whether this was one of those.

I don't know, but I can't make much of the reverse legend across from Alexander's name, and that would help considerably.

Okay. That part just says BASILEON (or BASILEOU; my Greek declensions are not too great), which is King. So: King Alexander. Which we know.

I'd look under Wildwinds Alex tets and see if you can find one like this. That of course is Zeus seated on reverse with eagle and whatever else that is hanging there, but your keys are those two characters below the teapot-like thing hanging below the eagle, just below knee-high. I'm guessing if you find one with a match to those, you'll find what coin this is supposed to be.