• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 s mint wheat penny only struck on one side. Any comments?

12 posts in this topic

The pictures are fuzzy, but I would be willing to wager that someone has polished the design off the reverse. It he reverse rim raised? Is the coin the same thickness as a normal cent? Do you have some way to weigh it in grams?

The only way that I could imagine this happening would be for two planchets to be in the collar at one time, (I'm not even sure if that's possible) I don't think the coin would look quite so "normal" if that were the case.

Edited by Just Bob

The fact that the rim is missing tells you that the reverse has been removed after it left the mint. You can't have a legitimate coin with only one rim. And no, a coin cannot only be struck on one side.

9 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

The fact that the rim is missing tells you that the reverse has been removed after it left the mint. You can't have a legitimate coin with only one rim. And no, a coin cannot only be struck on one side.

I'm glad you could see that, because I couldn't tell from the pictures whether there was a rim or not.

To the OP: the weight of a normal cent is 3.11 G. And no, there is no way for a coin to be struck on one side, as 'Stang said. The reverse and obverse are struck at the same time, so if the reverse die was missing, there would be no way for the obverse die to put enough pressure on the blank to create a design. In fact, there may even be a Fail-Safe on the press, to keep it from operating if both dies are not in place.

Edited by Just Bob

Take a picture from the side between two regular cents. I suspect it's pretty thin. Perhaps someone was making a magician's coin.

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

And no, there is no way for a coin to be struck on one side

Yes there is.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

The only way that I could imagine this happening would be for two planchets to be in the collar at one time, (I'm not even sure if that's possible)

That's the way, and yes it is possible and examples do exist.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I don't think the coin would look quite so "normal" if that were the case.

Correct again.  For one thing the blank side is NOT flat as in the OP coin.

Edited by Conder101

23 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Yes there is.

That's the way, and yes it is possible and examples do exist.

Correct again.  For one thing the blank side is NOT flat as in the OP coin.

Is it called a brockage, or something else? I am now curious to see an actual example.

Yeah it's the same coin I'm just new to this. I guess I didnt crop both pictures, the same size. I'm not sure. But like I said, i found it. I'm going to take pictures of my coin inbetween two other pennies. Should they be of the same year? Or as close to the year as i can find? All input is hugely welcome. Thanks.🤙

19 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Is it called a brockage, or something else? I am now curious to see an actual example.

It's called a uniface strike and it is caused by two planchets being centered in the coining chamber at the same time.  See here.

http://www.error-ref.com/full-uniface-strike/

On the quarter (which was the bottom coin of the two in the chamber) the blank side is not completely flat.  It has a slight waviness to it and it has a wire edge trying to form around the circumference.  The cent is an example of the upper planchet in the coining chamber.  Here the blank side shows considerably more unevenness, it is also trying to form a rim around the circumference, and since it is not completely down in the coining chamber it spreads like a broadstrike and can try to curve upward around the hammer die.  But in either case the blank side is NOT flat and smooth.