• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947,1955 d,1956,1952,1958 and 1959 pennies

6 posts in this topic

Melissa, those are the valuable pennies moneywise, but I got change back from a drive thru fast food place last week, at night, and put the 3 little dark chocolate pennies in my shirt pocket, got home and looked at them. There it was, 1931s penny. Can't buy a new Corvette with it, not worth selling much less get graded. But I found it all by myself, and I promise you that penny is more VALUABLE  to me than a $250,000 coin bought at Heritage Auctions by a multi millionaire so he or she can upgrade that date slot in their registry set. I'm new at this numismatic thing as well, but I haven't stopped grinning a week later, because I know I just had the pleasure of experiencing what its all about. I've got a whole lot to learn, but it can't get any better than this!

There are lots of teen's and twenty's Lincolns that have value even in low grades, 1914-D is just one such example.  Past 1930 most Lincoln cents are not rare and easily available in mint state grades. 

I suggest picking up a copy of "A Guide Book of United States Coins," also known as the "Red Book." Do not pay much attention to the actual prices, since they tend to be on the high side, but you can get an idea of how each coin relates to the others in the series, price-and-rarity-wise. You can often find a used copy at a flea market or used book store for a few dollars.

Thanks everyone so much.I like what was said about finding a penny worth more than 250,000 on heritage auction because my kids are teenagers and they giggle is mom playing with her pennies again lol.I'm like yes I am and my granny makes fun says I'm wasting my time but I can't wait sometimes to go to a store or McDonald's just so I can get change and look at them.I had a girl tell e one time really u collect pennies I normally just throw them away and my heart sank.ii told her u can't do that lol.it is an interesting Hobbie and I don't have much money being a single mom so I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be cool to fund one worth enough to change my kids life's right now.the oldest coin I own is 1939 nickel lol and 1947 wheat penny