• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help.1943 1c FS -801

10 posts in this topic

This coin has been in a trunk for 40 years . In a coin book covered in plastic there is scratches on the plastic running east and west I believe it is FS 801 . Has all the correct markers for it. Want to know if I should have this coin graded or not or approximately what grade it would be now. Hope the pictures are okay it's the best I could do thanks Diane

CM200322-173525001.jpg

CM200322-173648002.jpg

From the photos I would say yes it looks good for the FS-801, nice find.  As to grade that's tough to say from the photos as they were taken with the coin behind the slides so I cannot really say for sure about the luster or surfaces.  Just a guess I'd say MS63, perhaps better is the surfaces and luster are better than they appear in the photos.

As to having it graded that depends on what you want to do with the coin, if you plan to sell then it would be a good idea to have it graded with the attribution on the slab.  I don't collect errors or varieties so I'm not sure what the value of this coin is. 

Welcome to the forum.

It is too hard to see the surfaces in those pictures to give an opinion on grade, especially with the scratches on the plastic. I think the first thing that I would do is remove it -carefully- from the book, and check the edge to see if it has been re-plated. If the plating on the obverse continues around the edge to the reverse, it probably has been stripped and re-plated. NGC will not grade it, if it has. If there appears to be a seam on the edge, it may have original surfaces.

Do not handle the coin by anything other than the edge, unless you are wearing gloves.

3 minutes ago, Patrica Warr said:

Hey Bob you had replied about 1943 FS 801 I came back on they removed the post I'm trying to figure out why ? if I did something wrong can you help me?

I don't understand the question. I can view the entire post with no problem.

Not sure why that would come up, there is certainly nothing wrong with your post.

Try clicking on your name, all your posts should be there, then click on the bottom post ( your original) and see if it comes up.