• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi I'm newbie, Is this error or what? this not man made. thank you

11 posts in this topic

Not an error, it's damage.

The bubble is caused from heat expanding trapped air between the cladding and the core.. See this quite often on the forum.

Edited by Greenstang

I sent this to NGC and they said was not suitable for certification. but they didn'n say it was damage.. just an error they didn't recognized and i want to sell it if i can but don't know what to say about it. 

30 minutes ago, Greenland said:

I sent this to NGC and they said was not suitable for certification. but they didn'n say it was damage.. just an error they didn't recognized and i want to sell it if i can but don't know what to say about it. 

Did they actually call it a mint error?

I sent this to NGC and they said was not suitable for certification. but they didn'n say it was damage.. "not an error  recognized by NGC" and i want to sell it if i can but don't know what to say about it. 

they didn't say it was a mint error. but if you look at the swelling it comes from inside out because the stamp of the coin doesn't have any break at the top of the coin. but i don't know anything about coins. i just don't want anyone to think i made it. and i want to sell it it.

I think Greestang is right. Looks like pinpoint heat was applied by someone with a torch, or similar, causing the cladding to bubble. It is not a mint error.

Sure you can try and sell anything you legally own.  If you try to misrepresent it as a mint error that could be viewed as potentially fraudulent.  If you try to sell it as what it is Post Strike Damage, you are unlikely to get more than 10 cents for it.

Or you might just go the "A fool and his money are soon parted" route.  Just list it as "An unusual dime with lumps on both sides!" and make no other representations about it hoping one of those fools comes along.  A bit reprehensible, but perfectly legal.  (And maybe the buyer will learn to know something about what they are buying.)

Edited by Conder101
Added thought.