• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove 50 years old glue

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I have got an old coin with a paper cutting sticking on it for more than 50 years. Can anyone tell me how to remove the paper and the glue without damaging the coin (patina). Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-16 at 9.59.17 PM.jpg

I've had that and it's not fun. I've dealt with it on low value coins where it didn't matter if I messed them up, and didn't have much luck. I think many people end up peeling the glue off and accepting the discoloration, but if another method shows up I definitely want to learn it.

If the tape has been there for that long, you may end up with discoloration underneath, even after successfully removing all residue.

I think I would start with a long soak in water, to see if it loosens the adhesive.

I have never tried Goo Gone on a coin. Has anyone had any experience with it?( I used it to get some sticky stuff off the back seat of a rental car once. It worked pretty well for that, and did not leave a stain.)

Googone didn't work for me even with a protracted soak; it seems to work best on price tag stickers and their residue. I wish I knew what kind of glue was used for these things. Some underneath discoloration is highly probable, I agree.

Acetone is probably worth a try. Ezest would probably not work well and could produce unwanted side effects. While I grant that right now the coin is of minimal appeal or value, the point is that some of that appeal and value could be recovered and should not be impaired.

I had similar issues with a Morgan dollar. Acetone overnight worked a treat; the sticker was laminated plastic/paper and the acetone ate right through both the glue and plastic laminate. Of course now I have a Morgan dollar with a very unattractive un-toned spot; however, that's (to me) better than the sticker. I figure it will tone and eventually even out with the rest of the coin; I purposefully have left it unprotected to see if it tones. I'll check it in a few years.

Honestly haven't used it on coins before but works great on cars.

WD40 - then of course rinsing that off after  :-)

I would recommend the acetone, extended soaking if needed.  It won't hurt the toning, but you will probably find after the papaer is gone that the area under the paper is untoned so the pattern will still be visible.

Do NOT use EZ-est as it probably won't remove the paper, but it will strip the toning away,  The "patina" you are wanting to save will be gone.

Edited by Conder101

That doesn't look like rust - that looks like some sort of dried organic material. To the left on the character it looks like paint. Soak the coin in acetone for a few hours, I am pretty sure both will come right off. However, there may well be some discoloration underneath where the material protected the metal.