• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 P Nickel what happen to mint mark

13 posts in this topic

For the 1999 P, that mint mark looks doubled. I didn't see anything on VarietyVista but worth keeping and snooping around on.

The 2001 D is machine doubling, I don't see anything except wear on the 2000 D and 1983(5?).

Edited by Kirt

On the 1999-P I'm troubled by how rounded and large the upper left of the P is. If it were truly doubled, it would have the serif. Thus I'm thinking some extreme die wear. I don't see anything but damage on the other three.

5 hours ago, kbbpll said:

how rounded and large the upper left of the P is. If it were truly doubled, it would have the serif.

Yeah, I saw that too but then there's that clear shadow inside the P itself. The top of the P looks like die erosion, there's something going on with the first and third 9s as well that looks like machine doubling, and then there's that shadow on the inside of the P. I know it's not possible but that almost looks re-punched.  

Apart from that area of the coin the rest of the strike is clear and strong. Weird.

@Mrph12: Really nice clear pics but would it be possible to get a really good image of the entire obverse & reverse of that 1999?

Thanks for the new pics...I don't see any other doubling anywhere except the MM and maybe the 9s. Those are clearly MD. I was hoping we'd get lucky and there would be a clue on the obverse opposite or the reverse...nope, no joy.

Completely agree with @Coinbuf. I don't know what you have there but it is unusual enough to get it looked at. The whole P looks twisted about 2 degrees to the right and in some pictures looks like a really strong MD, in others a true DD. Please let us know what Wexler says!

Reply from John Wexler::hi:

JOHN WEXLER

Sun, Mar 15, 10:26 AM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

The doubling on the mint mark of your coin is a common form of doubling known as die deterioration doubling.  It is caused when the dies used to strike the coins are kept in use for too long a period of time.  When the dies strike the planchet to form a coin, the planchet metal is pushed into the cavities of the die to form the design. The constant movement of planchet metal across the surface of the die causes the die surface to wear and erode as time goes by. The eroded areas on the die are depressed, but on the coins they appear as raised areas. Since the greatest erosion is around the design elements such as the letters, date, etc. the new raised areas resemble doubling. According to the Mint, dies that strike coins with primarily nickel planchets (Jefferson nickels) or with nickel in the alloy (clad dimes, quarters, and half dollars) wear down more quickly because the nickel resists spreading when stuck causing the dies to wear down more quickly.  Serious doubled die collectors consider this to be a form of damage rather than a collectible form of doubling. Consequently, coins with this common form of doubling do not have any extra value. You can find more information and photo illustrations of die deterioration doubling at my website www.doubleddie.com. In the left column menu click on Worthless Doubling. Scroll down and then click on Die Deterioration Doubling.

I hope that this information helps.

John
cleardot.gif

Thank you for sharing Wexler's comments; it's great to continue to learn. That's the most significant MD I've seen; your pics are a great reference.