• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could someone please help me with identification of this Chinese coin?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, well; I decided to let this Chinese coin soak in water. It seems to be gold but unsure. I am unsure of the age of the coin or where it came from. I bought about 4 Chinese coins from someone on Etsy and this was one of them

IMG_20200310_143708.jpg

15838657136967338219253329889478.jpg

I am not a professional nor do I play one on TV, neither did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I know enough to say the calligraphy is terribly off, The Boo is bad and the overall appearance is unlike any genuine Cash I have seen in life or in pictures.

I think that is a replica coin used in numerous charms and statues sold at gift shops worldwide.

see some here'

https://feng-shui.lovetoknow.com/A_List_of_Good_Luck_Charms

The symbols on the piece are not Mandarin or any variant of it, nor any SE Asian symbology. They are nonsense scribbles meant to grab a few bucks from infatuated tourists. The metal looks like cast brass that was machined on the periphery. If you look through the central hole you will see an extensive back story fabricated from silk worm breath and unicorn tears.

:)

Comment for future historians...  self-derailment.

The OP committed irreversible error, inadvertently, when he identified the source of his find.

Two things to know here for the OP.  1. The coin is definitely a fake.  There are a lot of fake cash coins made for various purposes, souvenirs and feng shui good luck charms being two of them.  2. Don't buy any coins off of Etsy, ever.  Etsy is full of fakes and worthless, damaged coins being sold as valuable errors.  Etsy is literally the absolute worst place on the planet to buy coins.  It's a cesspool.  If you get anything off of Etsy, you can virtually guarantee that it's fake.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/9/2022 at 6:22 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Comment for future historians...  self-derailment.

The OP committed irreversible error, inadvertently, when he identified the source of his find.

Possibly.  But we'd know his coin is fake regardless of where he got it from and if he said it or not.  The photos speak for themselves. A fake is a fake, whether it came from Etsy or a brick and mortar shop.  But it's good he said that he bought it on Etsy so that we can warn him away from buying from that open sewer going forward.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, Woods020 said:

As soon as I read Etsy I stopped reading. And I know less than nothing about Chinese coinage, but when I see that word I don’t need to. Etsy is the dirtiest 4 letter word in numismatics. 

Yes indeed.  It's the very worst cesspool in the numismatic world.  

On 1/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, RWB said:

I thought "Etsy" was some goop you took if you had "the runs?"

Nah.....Etsy is the stuff that comes out of you when you have the runs.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, Woods020 said:

As soon as I read Etsy I stopped reading.... Etsy is the dirtiest 4 letter word in numismatics. 

🐓: Oh No, you di'int!

Q.A. Oh yes, I did. I Googled it, and here's what I found... There is no unanimity on pronunciation. I like "eh, si," ("t" is silent) but it means different things in different languages. And there is no consensus on what those letters stand for.  I like Expanded Truncated Structural Y, but Electronic Transmission System sounds much better. And when I read the stats on traffic and revenues generated on the site, I nearly fell out of my chair. I never did get those centennial Morgans but it wasn't etsy I ordered from. It was its cousin, eBay. Just lovely...

On 1/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Etsy, eBaycaveat emptor!

There's a huge difference between eBay and Etsy in the realm of numismatics, Quintus.  eBay has reputable sellers that offer good, genuine numismatic material.  I should know.....I'm one of them.  I also buy the majority of my coins and notes off of eBay and the biggest problem I've ever had is a few sellers using stock photos and not stating it in the listings.  But I've been able to get a return and a full refund in each of those cases.  There are bad people on eBay, yes, but a lot of good people as well.  However, I have never seen a reputable seller of numismatic material on Etsy one single time.  They're all selling fakes or parking lot errors for $50,000.  Nothing genuine nor collectible.  That's a huge difference that needs to be stated in this instance, Quintus.  It's unfair to good eBay sellers, of which there are many of, to compare eBay to that full, stinking, diarrhea filled diaper known as Etsy.

Edited by Mohawk

To Messrs. @Mohawk et @Greenstang...  I have just recited your comments to my wife and she heatedly insisted, mind you, in French-accented English, that I retract my [intemperate] comment and apologize.  I do! I do! I am totally undeserving of your unconditional adulation.  😉 

On 1/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Greenstang said:

Another big difference between Etsy and eBay is that eBay will remove counterfeits, misrepresented coins and raw coins listed over $2500.00. They don’t catch them all but at least they try. Etsy is not all interested in removing anything. There theory is let the buyer beware. This is why most of the counterfeiters and overpriced coin sellers list on Etsy

Agreed and this is huge. I’ve told myself many times when I had free time to burn that I would attempt to reach management at Etsy and see if they would start cracking down. There is a huge difference between being ignorant to the situation vs knowingly allowing it. eBay atleast is ignorant of numismatics and attempts to maintain order when they are made aware. 

Edited by Woods020