• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 D DDO Lincoln Cent
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Good morning to all. I just found what I believe to be my first true doubled die. I’ve taken some “beatings” learning the difference recognizing a true DD as opposed to a MD cent...... Can’t find very much info on this particular year and DD’s. It’s definitely in MS (what designation I’m not quite sure yet, still learning that part) but I was looking for any generous input, comments, discussion, etc on this beautiful 1998 D. The best pics I can do right now is with a simple iPhone and I apologize for this. However, It’s not hard to make out the doubling on GOD, the top of WE, S,  the slight oxidized doubling to the left of LIBER, you should be able to see the doubling left of the letters TY. In addition, it appears Lincoln’s nose has some as well. The 8 in the date also shows doubling but this is to the right of the 8. It may appear as a “shelf” on the 8 in the pic but I don’t believe it is.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all. 
-Greg

537F3B8C-49F3-44FA-9E3C-BBDD96E904F1.jpeg

Looks to me like you have some Split Plate Doubling on the word LIBERTY and Die Deterioration Doubling on the rest.

Nothing wrong with your picture.

Edited by Greenstang
Deleted copy

Greenstang has it right, in my opinion.

Consider the doublng as a shadow, and the design as the object casting the shadow.If you draw a line from the doubling, through the letter or numeral, and continue to the imagined "light source," you will find that the lines intersect at or near the center of the coin. That, according to Mr. Lange, indicates die deterioration doubling. Split-plate doubling, as on the word "LIBERTY," follows that same pattern.

I tried, as objectively and accurately as possible, to illustrate my point below:

537F3B8C-49F3-44FA-9E3C-BBDD96E904F1.jpeg.2a176c0640e7316fe6637ce7eec7ec9f.jpg

Edited by Just Bob

Hello Gentlemen. Thank you so very much for your replies. What looked the most promising to me on this coin was the WE and seeing the extra W and E at the top of them. I do admit that I am pretty much consumed with Lincoln cents these days and will no doubt find a jewel if I keep at it......😁. I did however find a nice 1998 WAM the other day in very good condition. I was pretty excited to say the least to have found that!!  I have found numerous other coins that I have questions about but I do not want to be a “habitual poster” as I truly appreciate the feedback from you guys from the two posts I have made since becoming a member. Thank you very much for your time and I’m gonna keep on looking!!👍👍

Just Bob, I just now saw your “line” diagram as it took a minute to download before I realized it. That’s incredible knowledge. Thank you for that and thank you both for your replies. 

2 hours ago, Greg Bradford said:

I do not want to be a “habitual poster”

Fire away. This forum isn't busy enough for that to be a problem, as long as you're not constantly posting loony nonsense (like someone I can think of).