• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: real or fake? Reichel Ruble

10 posts in this topic

Something about the hair looks off. On the reverse there is no cross above the stick in the eagle’s right talon. The talon grip looks off, but the detail is phenomenal. However I guess my question is can there be die variations in engraved coins? These coins were reportedly celebratory medals for Emperor Nicholas 1st. He rejected them making them as currency making them exceptionally rare today. Is this a proof Reichel Ruble? Or just a copy. Thanks in advance. I’ll post the original first, then the coin in question.

75B2AE4A-6402-4818-9A26-32FA34C48738.png

1D2FE14C-FF97-4B2D-8F37-B9A6C0A2A0DE.png

I guess my other question is why make a fake with more detail than the original? If it’s fake is it worth anything? It is real silver.

It’s definitely not the same coin, but could it be the first variation. There are so many differences and I know the engraver was trying to please the king, the king rejected the medal as a form of currency; so I’m asking if it’s possible that it’s an early variation or a proof of the Reichel Ruble. Again, why put more detail into the copy?