• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Question About a NGC graded coin 2017 1/4 oz

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new and have a question about a label. The meaning..I'll get to that, it's a St. Gaudens 1/4 oz 2017 coin. Graded MS70, Below that: Gold Eagle and...just above bar code reads two things: First Strike and on right side 1 of 503 "  i SHOULD MENTION, that the label is that of Augustus Saint Gaudens with copy of his signature. Anyway this coin is #1 of what 503 ??????

How do you make something better then perfect (ms70) add a label and make it a race 

First strike first release I'm pretty sure it's all a gimmick as coins are struck and stored before being shipped according to the mint they have no way of insuring coins delivered were that of those first off the mill

You have 1 of 502 coins graded by that grading company with that label and that signature many more exist in the same grade 

The label you described sounds more like the pcgs label 

Edited by B.C

And while that may be 1 0f 503, you will probably find that the other 502 pieces also say 1 of 503.  And when that submission ran out, they would send in another batch and they would all be 1 of whatever number.  There is nothing special about that number.  First strike is also meaningless.  it just means that they were submitted within 30 days of them being released.  It has NOTHING to do with when tey were actually struck.

Traditionally "first strike" meant it was one of the first coins struck with a die pair - these usually look better and have better strikes than coins struck with late-life dies.

It became a marketing gimmick, which got the TPGs sued if I remember right, and NGC stopped using it in 2006 and adopted "Early release" and "First Day of Issue."

Edited by Revenant

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

... one of the first coons struck with a die pair ...

And, those egg-stealing, chicken-killing, disease-carrying, garbage-strewing vermin deserved to get hit with that die pair - or a load of buckshot. :devil:

Lol bob masked bandits 

I received a monster box labeled first delivery Jan 2 as if they were struck Jan 1 and still warm when I got them I would be curious to crack the seals and see what's real in there however I haven't in 15 years and they are just bullion  

33 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

And, those egg-stealing, chicken-killing, disease-carrying, garbage-strewing vermin deserved to get hit with that die pair - or a load of buckshot. :devil:

Indeed! Just so!

Edited by Revenant

20 hours ago, B.C said:

I received a monster box labeled first delivery Jan 2 as if they were struck Jan 1 and still warm when I got them

Considering they often start striking them a month or more before the start of the year, even if they were the first ones struck, they won't be "warm". :)

The most fun is watching a pallet load of monster boxes being schlepped across the bourse floor at the January F.U.N. show to one of the mega wholesalers who then signs a pre-made-out form and re-schleps them to one of the TPG's.

Suckers.

Born.

Minute.

You know the drill.